my 3 year old wont give up his pacifire!

I have tried just about everything... Giving them away, cutting them. My son is sooo strong willed and bull headed he just wont give up on it. he has it before he goes to bed and when he takes his nap. Should I wait for him to ween off of it himself? help.

blessed.mommy

Asked by blessed.mommy at 7:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I promise he will not be getting on the school bus with it...........let him have it. he will give it up when he is ready, it gives him comfort there is nothing wrong with that.
    sadie99

Answer by sadie99 at 8:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I have heard if you puncture the binky with a small hole it will colaspe when the child sucks on it. Since the need seems to be related to the sucking instict it should frustrate him until he throws it away. I hope this helps. Let me know. If it does not I don't want to keep passing it along.
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 7:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My oldest was probably about that age when I had just about had enough!! It comes down to how strong can you be, lol.... We know that our kids won't die without the pacifier, it's a battle of the wills! I just threw them all away so that I knew I didn't have one to give her. That night when she was going to bed, she looked at me with those big puppy dog eyes & said, "Ginky??", I said, "Nope", and she went to bed, WOW!! It shocked me, I was prepared for a fight! So, I'm saying, just get rid of them, it won't hurt him to not have one, you've just ot to prepare yourself for it! Good Luck!
    momof4qtz

Answer by momof4qtz at 7:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You should have gotten rid of the pacifier a long time ago! I weaned all of my boys before they were 18mths old. Some people do it sooner. You need to just take it away, get rid of all of them and tough out the results. It will be hard for oth of you but he is going to ruin his teeth and possibly have a speech problem if you dont do something now about it.
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 7:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I completely agree with AingealsBabies you should have took it away along time ago before he even turned 1 thats the best time to slowly start taking away his bottle and his pacifier i kind of took long to take away the bottle from my daughter but one day she just didnt realize i wasnt giving it her anymore and it didnt really seem to bother her ..Good Luck to you :)
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 7:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Best way is to just take it away. It will be rough at first, It will work though.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 7:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• it will possibley take about 3 nights of him throwong fits and possibley waking up for it so do it on the weekend when no one has to get up for work (unless you work weekends). just throw them all away make a ceremony of it so he knows its gone. sing a song if you have to "bye bye binky big boys here lalalala" i dunno but get rid of that darn thing and dont look back!
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 7:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• why would you take it away ? what is it hurting?
    sadie99

Answer by sadie99 at 8:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Just tell him that pacis are for babies and have the paci fairy take them away. Seriously, I saw this on Supernanny. Have HIM put the pacis in the mailbox for the paci fairy to give to babies who need them. Don't force him to do it. And tell him the paci fairy will bring him a gift(and you better have a gift for him the next morning).
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 8:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2010