A friend needs help with her hair...

i thought i could use some support. My name is Andrea, i am 24 years old. So i been dying my hair since i was about 17 but i been really badly bleaching it for the past 3 years. at one point i made it blonde and noticed all my ends were dead so i cut it and hated it being short, so i made it red, which has been a hassle but i loved the color. last time i bleached and dyed it was about September, but i dyed it without bleaching in october. i went to bleach it on monday and discovered a bald spot, its not super huge and my hair covers it. but i am really scared. i also am a vegetarian which probably means im undernourished, and i do tons of sports so i dont get a regular period.

im sorry for telling you my life story but i am ebrassed and feel like i need support. i am going to a doctor later and i never been more scared in my life. i been scared to sleep on my head which had been causing me to sleep really badly, i am scared of brushing it or washing it. im a girl hair is important to me, and i am a theatre major so i am center of attention alot. [ idk how to explain that]

any suggestions? once again sorry for tellin you all this

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 7:34 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Well, not sure how old you are now so how many years you've been tough on your hair but it sounds like it needs a serious break. Either stop coloring all together for a while or just color without bleaching. And do frequent deep conditioners and hot oil treatments to help nourish your hair. Check on line for a good diet for hair nutrition. Here's a link to an article that may be helpful: http://abbottk.wordpress.com/2006/09/14/everyday-foods-that-nourish-your-dry-brittle-hair/

Good luck. I know hair is very important for women, but try not to get too stressed. Extra stress can cause hair loss, too. Try to find a relaxation technique you enjoy.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 2:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You need to leave it alone and get some vitamins and I'm sure the Dr will tell you what kind of shampoo and rinse to use. Good luck, your right, a woman's hair is very important.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If you like red try henna for a while. It acts as a conditioner and helps seal the follicle and decrease hair loss. Or just give your hair a break!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 11:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Stop coloring your hair your frying the folicles! Just let it grow out it will probably be ugly for a while but deal with it. Start taking a multi vitamin and make sure to eat really healthy extra fruits and veggies!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 12:38 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• you said you are seeing your dr. - he/she will help with the nutrition part (you need fat for hair and nails). You already know that you have some hard decisions ahead of you in relation to hair like length vs color. Love Red most people do not know red is more high maintenance then blonde. Once the health aspects are taken care of maybe you should consider a professional consultantion for your whole /total look due to your performance aspirations, that way you can decide hair color, length etc. Good Luck and best wishes.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 12:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2010