My son, doesn't eat, fruit, veggies, or meat, what is left? I am trying to get help, but it is taking forever. It's turning into a medical issue.

My son is autistic. When he was a baby, he used to eat everything. He didnt like trying new foods, so I pureed everything together. Over the past year and half his food intake, has decreased. He is only eating bread and butter, no meats, no veggies, or fruits, other than juicy juice. Any suggestions?? He is a textured eater, with sensory stimulation issues. i have taken him to see a speech language pathologist. Awaiting the report from over 6 months ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Take him to someone else. 6 months is a LOOONG time to wait. And it will start affecting his health. You already know that. Take him to a family doctor and let them help you find what you need, or who you need to talk to. That's what they get paid for.
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 10:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• how about peanut butter? or grilled cheese sandwhiches? Juicey Juice makes a juice called harvest surprise which has a serving of veggies. If he likes orange juice you can get it with added calcium. Can you puree meats to make a sandwhich spread he will eat? Especially tuna. He can get the fruits and veggies from juice and protein from cheese milk peanut butter etc. If he likes smoothies that might also be worthwhile. Or maybe a pasta and puree the foods you want him to eat and use it as the sauce. I hope this gives yuo some ideas until you can get to see the doc.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Try feeding him Tofu. I like getting the extra firm & either cooking it by frying it in hot canola oil or just cutting it up & eating it right out of the container. Try it & see if your son will eat it.

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 11:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• MONAVIE - if he drinks juicy juicy he may like it - it is loaded with phytonutrients, has omegas 3, 6, & 9, fatty acids, organic vitamins and minerals - it is a whole food beverage - its a 19 fruit blend with the acai berry that everyone is raving about, no water or sugar added - I was just talking to an autism moms group last week, they mentioned it and were discussing the nutrient value and the results they are seeing - they were part of my research I was doing.

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 12:53 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• The Harvest Surprise is a great idea, someone beat me to posting that (lol). Have you tried smoothies? I had a problem like this with my daughters about 7 months ago and I could tell they were looking a bit sicker- SO I made them smoothies with yogurt, fruit juice, and tofu. They couldn't even tell that the tofu was in them and they got every ounce of protein from it. They took these smoothies everytime I made them, but contiued to turn down dinners, ect. That eventually passed though and they are better at eating now. I had to start making food funner for them. The brighter the colors the better, and if your son wants to sit with you in the kitchen maybe try to get him to help with smaller easier tasks to cooking. If kids are involved in the process they are more likely to eat. Cut sandwiches into shapes, and try fun, finger foods- cheese sticks, ants on a log, pigs in a blanket. Good Luck!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2008