Supreme court or voters.....

Wether you agree with Prop 8 or not do you think the Supreme court should be able to come in and overturn something that the PEOPLE voted for? For example: I voted for John McCain but I do NOT believe that the Supreme court should be able to come in and overturn his win just b/c I don't like it. I think the vote of the people should stand no matter hte issue. You?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• When it violates civil liberties, yes.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 10:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• if the people voted for something that is UNCONSTITUTIONAL, yes I want the supreme court to step in! that's what it's there for! to make sure the constitutional rights are upheld
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• But who decides if it's a civil liberty?
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• The supreme court decides if it is a civil liberty
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 10:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• the constitution. that thing they wrote along with the Declaration of Independence... Bill of Rights remember that?
    Anonymous

• uhh...i thought this was America.... arent we spoused to be able to have a say?

i think it should stick! no gay marriage.....MARRIAGE IS A HOLY UNION!!!! what about that do people not understand?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• So the supreme court decides WHAT is civil liberties and hten get the final decision on wether it's right or wrong? I am not being purposefully argumentative. I promise. I am just trying to honestly figure out the thinking here. The majority said no this is not ok....what about THIER beliefs?
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• momof030404 I really don't think you are trying to start drama.

the people that said No were based on Religious beliefs. America was created with Freedom of Religion (first amendment on the bill of rights) this means that voting a ban on marriage stating it's a holy union between man and woman only is bringing Religion into the law, which is unconstitutional.

does that make sense?
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• People used to BELIEVE that black people shouldn't be aloud to ride in the front of the bus or be allowed to use the same restrooms, eat at the same restaurants, or go to the same schools as white people.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 10:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• This is ABSURD....I am one of the voters in California who voted Yes on 8 because the first time around when the Courts decided to make it legal for same sex couples to marry...my rights were denied in the matter...now that we had a fair and legal vote they want to strike it down again....if this happens I have only one question....WHY VOTE IF THE PROPOSITION PASSES AND JUST BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THE OUTCOME THEY GET THEIR WAY????....is this what a DEMOCRACY is???...As you can tell it's disgusting that they are even thinking about trying to get it overturned or whatever their scheme is!....I will ask my husband to consider moving out of this state if this is the way it goes!
    Anonymous