need info on how to discipline a 5 yr old girl who cries when she doesn't get her way

I try to ignore the tears until they stop. My husband thinks that hugging and kissing and trying to reason with her works better. What is the best way to handle my child's behavior?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My DD is 6 and does this a lot less now. We ignore it, or send her to her room until so can "calm down", only once she has stopped crying will I explain why she can't get her way. I just refuse to deal with her when shes like that, and that seems to get her over it faster. Good Luck... it's a fussy age!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I know it is so hard to not try distract from the “problem” with a hug .. but … I personally think you and your husband need to agree … Its just sends mix messages. I dont think a few tears will hurt her, Maybe ask her daddy to leave the room if he cant handle her crying, Or Pick her up and move her to another room, A chair, corner what ever until she stops. hugs and kisses are for later, her behaviour doesn't need encouraging by showering them while she cries.
    Reia631

Answer by Reia631 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Coddling is not a good idea, IMO. I think talking is fine saying "I understand you are upset, and if you feel you need to cry, that is OK, but it does not change that you are not going to get your way". Encourage her to TALK about her frustrations, rather than crying.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2010