is the government trying to ban personal gardens??

i saw a post in 1 group that the government is trying to ban personal gardens. i've only seen it in the one post. so it has me wondering if this is a rumor or is the government actually trying to do this? it seems to be in violation of rights and unlawful which is why i'm wondering.

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 8:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The original proposal on the bill wasn't actually stating ways to ban gardening. It was written so that only hybrid seeds could be used ~ and those are mostly patented now my Monsanto. Hybrid seeds are sterile. You can't save seed from your garden to plant the next year if you use hybrids. Well, you can, but less than 10% of the seeds will sprout, and the plant will be weak and not produce well. Heirloom seeds are not sterile, and as long as you don't mix several varieties together they will reproduce the same plant consistently year after year. Heirloom seed costs a bit more initially, but unless you want new varieties you don't have to purchase seeds the following year. They are healthier, naturally pest/disease resistant, and far more flavorful than hybrids.

The gov't., at the urging of agribusiness, wants total control of the food supply. Period. Monsanto is worldwide, not just a US company. Think about that.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Food Safety bill. Until it was amended, it included everyone who grew and sold or traded/bartered anything, without regard to amount. An amendment was added in the last few days to exclude personal gardens and small farms that sold less than $500,000 (I think that was the amount) annually.

I had also heard that the current Senate bill was not going to the House, because the House had already voted on its own version the Bill. My question is, what does THAT version say, and will the "reconciled" bill that lands on the President's desk, include this Amendment, or not?
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No - the bill that is being considered isn't for people growing their own veggies, it's for anyone who sells the veggies to others. This includes roadside stands, farmer's markets, etc.; that is why people are so angry about it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:41 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• From what I read of the actual bill small farmers(make under 500k a year) and people with gardens would not be affected. Maybe I read the wrong bill or others haven't read it at all and are just taking Beck's word. Who knows. My relatives that are farmers are not concerned by this at all they meet the standards already and are glad other farmers who are not will finally. Makes them all look bad when we get sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Our food system is so fundamentally f*****, and this is not even a bandaid, let alone a repair.

From what I understand Monsanto wrote the bill themselves. This isn't going to hurt them in the slightest, it's going to help them. Write now, GMOs cannot be considered USDA Organic, so they are trying to rid America of organic farmers.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I heard that too, and honestly I don't know. With a GOP controlled house, it doesn't surprise me that the bill passed sans exclusionary amendment. I think otherwise, it's substantially similar. The big names (Cargill, Tyson, ConAgra) all seem to be behind the house version...if that says anything about it's content.
    Then there's the problem with calling it a 'revenue' bill. All revenue bills have to originate in the House. It could be that the GOP is going to try to force a vote on their version since it came out of the House?
    I don't pretend to know what the future of this bill is. Time shall tell.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• exclude personal gardens and small farms that sold less than $500,000 (I think that was the amount) annually.

The bill is still set up so that if there is a complaint then the feds can swoop in. Monsato is the leader of this bill. Lot's of money donated by them and they are damn near a monopoly now.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Damn near? I think Monsanto DEFINES monopoly. Terminator genes, cross pollination...farmers switching to RoundUp Ready just to avoid the inevitable lawsuit when their neighbors' Monsanto seeds cross pollenate theirs? (I would like to start a farm, and build a HUGE enclosure around my crops, and sue Monsanto for the cost, saying it's needed to prevent THEM from suing ME). Their involvement is almost enough for me to be utterly against this bill. Our food system is so fundamentally fucked, and this is not even a bandaid, let alone a repair.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:23 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i seriously doubt it and it would be nigh to impossible to enforce. There's too much space to cover and to many ways for people to hide it if they wanted to. Farms would be the most obvious camoflage.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:27 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• also could hide em in forests, people living in highrises could easily keep them on terraces or balconies... people in large homes in the hils that overlook scenic vistas wouldn't be noticed at all. Where would it stop. Just personal residences? I can't see the govt caring if someone grows tulips and daffodils.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2010