8 month old with cold and not keeping formula down....

So my son has had a cold for about a week now. Started with just the runny nose...now we are on to having a cough with mucus.

Yesterday and today he brought up his morning bottles. Called the doctor yesterday and was told to give smaller dose of bottles...which i did this am.

So its been an hour since he brought up his bottle...when should I give him something else and should i use pedialite or juice? or try another small bottle with fruit?

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 8:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he's vomiting, you should not give him juice or fruit, the sugar in it can irritate the stomach lining more. I would try another bottle, maybe half of what he normally drinks. If he continues to vomit, he may have the flu or a stomach virus.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• WHen our daughter was that age and had a cold she would do the same thing. The mucus and formula aren't mixing well. Call the Dr. back or take baby in to be sure.
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 9:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My 8month old just got over the same thing about a week ago and i just gave him juice because he didnt like the pedilite and the doc said that was fine. He drank that for a few days and then I gave him his formula.
    brayashnatjar

Answer by brayashnatjar at 11:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Our 7 mo old usually has a 6 oz bottle. When he's got a cold & throwing up because of the mucus we mix 3 oz of formula & mix in 3 oz of unflavored Pedialyte. You could use more Pedialyte if you wish. We also try feeding smaller quantities at a time. It's usually just that first morning bottle that we have issues with. Also, before feeding we make sure to suck out as much of the mucus as possible. We use the Nose Frieda for this & love it! Kind of gross but way better than the blue bulb!
    Riles7

Answer by Riles7 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010