When you go somewhere to hear live music

If you go to bars/nightclubs to hear live music, what do you like to hear? Or, do you just prefer jukebox/DJ's?

Our band has been playing mostly new country (Toby Keith, Sugarland, Kenny Chesney, etc.) with some classic rock. Our regular fans say they like the new country better - but when I watch the crowd we seem to get more of a reaction from the classic rock (AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc.). We're starting to add considerably more rock - but I'd love to know what you like listening to?

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 9:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Entertainment

• My husband was a sound engineer/FOH for a regional band. For them, in the SE, the stuff that really got the crowd jazzed was some of the new country (that chicken fried song?) and stuff like The Allman Brothers. If you want, my husbands youtube channel is youtube.com/macmcnulty, and he's got live videos of some of the songs the band did. Some are originals, and some are covers that got a good reaction.

When I go to a show, I go to see ska and punk bands, so my preferences aren't going to help you much. :)
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Jenny; Chicken Fried really gets them riled up for us as well! :) We're in NE Ohio, I guess I should have mentioned that? I'll check out YouTube!!
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 9:08 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• There's a song by Wet Willie called Keep on Smilin that tends to get a good reaction...Sweet Home Alabama (we're in AL, I think that has a lot to do with it)
    That song about Hank William's ghost...what the hell is that called...The Ride? That goes over really well too.
    Also, Family Tradition. Anything that has audience participation in it is a bit hit. Hank Why do ya drink? and why do you blow smoke and why do you live out the songs that you wrote.
    Social Distortion does a song called Ball and Chain that's fun to get a crowd involved in. The chorus is very easy, people like to sig it when they are very drunk. Take awaaaayyyaaaaahhhhhh....take away this ball and chain.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't go to bars and clubs to listen to live music. The only live music I go to see is one of my favorite bands when they play in an arena. I'm a hard rock chick.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I can see Social Distortion's music as doing the trick. I haven't been to a club to see live music like that, though there is a place we want to check out, just haven't made it yet. The only concerts we've been to were Rob Zombie and Daughtry.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Coffee shops, cafes.I like the acoustic mellow stuff.

I detest loud music and drunks.

SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 8:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• texas country, I live in Texas, so songs about TX are always a hit, drinking songs are always good at a bar, lol!
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 11:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• oh that song by rehab..... it's called "bartender" or "sitting at a bar"............. everybody LOVES that song and I think it is that southern rock sound you were talking about!
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 11:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• oh nevermind, you said classic rock, not southern rock, oops :)
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 11:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• TX Colter - I love that song!! We actually have it on our list!! LOL :)
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2010