How is it discrimination?

It comes up a lot this time of year, about how people don't mind if other religions are "allowed" (wow, how gracious of you) to celebrate their own holidays or have their own holiday/religious symbols displayed, but ONLY if Christian symbols are also included. They say that having symbols of Hanukkah or EID but not including one for Christmas is discriminating. When are ALL the symbols of EVERY religion ever included anywhere? Aside from this time of year, when trees, wreaths, holly, ivy, yule logs and candles start showing up, the symbols of my faith are pretty much never included in anything. And when those things do appear, most people assume (or insist) they are Christmas symbols, not Yule.

Kemetic symbols, Native American, even representations of Taoism are pretty much never included in any "all inclusive" display. Why is it that's ok, but if you leave out a symbol of Christianity at any time, Christians are being discriminated against? Watch this, and ask yourself, how often do you see every single one represented at one time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXPaGCRngWw

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Who's enforcing this? Its the United States, you're free to worship or not, whatever you wish and how you wish.

Who cares what Joe and Jane Stranger think?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It's not discrimination. I still don't understand how Christians can feel they are discriminated against in America, in a real way. That's not to say there aren't haters, but having haters is not discrimination nor is it censorship. Black America needs to learn the same lesson.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 9:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Good question. There's always going to be someone who is upset because of a slight of their religion/beliefs, they believe that their religion is the only way. To me, the ones that are not yelling about a menorah rather than a cross are the ones that are truly Christian and understand the real meaning of Christmas.

Me, I enjoy all the holiday decorations and I've never looked at any display and said "hey - so and so isn't represented." I'm a Buddhist, I love them all. :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Many confuse not being the only widely accepted religion to being discriminated against. That they even have to admit people with other beliefs exists is so confusing and upsetting, they feel oppressed.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:08 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think a lot of Christians (who aren't all over into it) don't even realize the holiday wasn't there's to begin with and that it supplanted the pre existing Pagan Yuletide celebrations, nor that Easter was emplaced over the Pagan Spring Festivals. If nayone should be offended it should be the Pagans, who all pretty easy going people
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Some Christians think their religion rules all other religions & if any other religious symbol is displayed but not theirs...then somehow it's wrong & discriminatory because it is lacking the "true" religion. Some take it as heresy or something...

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I completely and totally agree. Well said!

Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Well, maybe the people of those faiths should make a point to display their own symbols. I think everyone should display what they choose, you can't speak for someone who won't speak for themself. If the postmaster of my post office wants to display Native American symbols in December around the building, I have no problem with it. But my house will have wreaths and reindeer. To each his own.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:16 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I am Christian myself but I honestly think that hardcore Bible thumpers need something to be angry about. The thing I like to see is everyone being proud of their beliefs no matter what they may be. So with that said the thing that bothers me is when people get offended when other people celebrate their own holidays. If I want to put a small Christmas tree on my desk at work than I should be allowed the same goes for anyone else in any other religion on any given day.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think Christian symbols shouldn't be allowed in a lot of places, but ambiguous symbols should..

Unfortunately last year, my city commissioners office decided to put a nativity scene in front of the HQ. BAD CHOICE.

Wreaths are fine, candles and yule logs are fine, but a nativity scene or ANY religious symbol need to go.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 9:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2010