help me if you have stopped smoking

I've been trying for awhile to stop smoking. My mind is ready, I can have packs and packs of gum, chewy candy, suckers, you name it to try to help me. I have tried the lozenges, but I don't like them because you can't swallow for 20 min or so, Have you ever tried not to swallow? Pretty annoying. I'm scared to try a pill, because it could make you suicidal. Everytime I try, My body just can't take it. It's like I'm detoxing from a hard drug or something, I can't breathe, maybe it's panic attacks? My hands shake. I cry constantly. I'm really mean and nasty. My chest and stomache hurt. I don't know what to do. Should I ask my doctor for help with it, it is obvious that I cannot just quit cold turkey, I have also tried gradually weanning myself. Nothing is working.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Health

• i kept myself busy. i swam and ran several times a week. swimming was a good reminder as to why smoking is bad for your lungs! i ate a ton of candy the first week, especially cinnamon altoids. also, a lot of oral sex.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My DH and I switched to electronic cigarettes (Blu). They have nicotine, but none of the carcinogens. All you are inhaling is water vapor. So far we are doing really well with them (and we have tried a lot of different things!!), and we plan on getting the reduced nicotine ones next time we order the cartridges. After awhile, we will switch to the non-nicotine ones. Good luck to you, quitting sucks. I wish I never would have started.

I also know someone who was hypnotized and she hasn't smoked for 5 years.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• don't quit quitting!
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Look up "quit assist" in your area and there should be a program available to you. I smoked for over ten years and wanted to quit before I got pregnant so I found a smoking cessation class at the hospital near my work. It really helped - they give you a discount on all smoking cessation products, and depending on you insurance, you could get a discount on the cost. It was really interesting and very helpful. I have now been quit for almost 2 years and it is definitely worth it. I totally understand what you mean when you say you are having shakes, heart palpatations, etc. - quitting smoking is one of the hardest things you will ever do and it is quitting a drug. Keep trying and you will get it!
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 9:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My husband's coworker was smoking 4 packs a day! When she got sick and was using her oxygen tank she looked around ad saw all the ash trays full of ciggys she knew this was it. She prayed and cried and never ever had another ciggy since. Plus it is so expensive!
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2010