Where do women get this kooky idea?

That as soon as you hit 37 weeks it is automatically "safe" to go into labor. Yes, I know the 37th week marks the end of the baby being considered preemie, but who is to say that there could NOT be any complications once this milestone is hit? I see posts alot and have a distant friend that just hit 37 weeks and told me she is planning on begging her doctor to strip her membranes today at her appt (she just turned 37 weeks yesterday!) I told her good luck but don't count on it. I mean.. you've made it this far, what is 3 more weeks (or less)? Take this time to do more preparing, spend time with the children you already have because pretty soon they are going to have a big surprise in store for them! Enjoy some sleep that you won't be seeing much of for a while. As a mother of two (and pg with twins right now) I know that we all hit that point where we just want to be "done".. but there are so many that take things to the extreme and could cause problems for themselves.

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm shocked at the number of women who think it's ok, and try to do things to encourage labor, or beg their doctors to induce because they are so miserable. My youngest was born at 34 weeks. We tried everything (including hospital bedrest) to keep him "baking" as long as we could. (Placenta previa). He was in the NICU for two weeks. While my DS was in, there was another baby in worse shape than my son that had been delivered at 37 weeks. She was induced because "she couldn't take being pregnant anymore" according to my son's nurse. How incredibly selfish. Normal gestation is 40 weeks, unless there is a complication no one should be induced.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It is just plain selfish to want to be induced at 37 weeks or even 38 or 39.....If being pregnant is such torture that you have to be induced early, then I say to these stupid women : Don't get pregnant!!!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I had to be induced at 37 weeks, but my doctors made it very clear that they were doing it because they found it necessary (my BP was high, baby's heart rate kept spiking and then they couldn't find it). They weren't and wouldn't do it just because it was "ok".
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:22 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Because in American society, we're used to being pampered and taken care of. When Americans are in labour, instead of going through the pain like women, the majority of them opt for an epidural. Whenever they're uncomfortable, they decide it'd be better to just make it easier on THEMSELVES and ask for their labour induced early. I had my daughter at 38w, simply because I have a kidney disease and needed to be induced early to avoid a stillbirth.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 9:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Probably cause many babies are fine with hardly any complications after birth that's why women think its ok.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:16 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• the doctors give women this idea. i find it sad.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:16 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• They get it from old wives tales....

Answer by older at 9:19 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree that no one should be induced early unless its necessary, but you do have to admit that those last few weeks of pregnancy are miserable! I can understand the feeling, but I don't agree with going ahead with it. My baby came naturally the day I hit 36 weeks and he was just fine and very healthy!!!
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I get wanting it over too but my OB wouldnt induce me til 39 weeks. I agree ya gotta do whats best for baby not mom being impatient. I do understand though the day I turned 39 weeks I was in the l&d ready to go. To each their own I choose drugs, epidural and to be induced and that is my right as an american citizen, you cant knock others for their chooses, I mean come on lets not be to judgmental. and thank god I induced my first born girl was 9# had I let her cook longer she would have ripped me in half, lol!
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It is better to into labor early then later. Many babies born after 40 weeks have complications that 37 weekers would not have to endure. This comes from me working at a birthing center and seeing the difference in the two often.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2010