What would you put in a Life Book?

I have a baby book, traditional one, I modified and have kept up. I do have a blank book engraved with Life Book on it. My son's therapist suggested filling the life book. Many of the same things will be in the life book that are in his baby book. What would you put it it as an adoptive parent? What would you want in it as an adoptee? What as a the first mother would you want to see in it? Of course he is doing some of his own drawings to add. So as he grows he can add to it. Does your child have a Life Book?

frogdawg

Asked by frogdawg at 9:15 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Adoption

• http://www.ifapa.org/resources/IFAPA_Lifebook_Pages.asp

I could write all day about what's in ours, and I know your situation is different than foster care, frog, but the above link will give you some ideas. You can download the foster care lifebook pages for free and you can modify them in any way that you need to. Keep in mind that baby books are for babies, and he won't be one forever. Life Books are for life past, present, future. Not only can you capture all the "regular" things that baby books do, you can incorporate special people, feelings, memories. Life books talk about happy and sad, glad and mad, and are great for discussion starters with your son. Also, one day, his first mom will get a small glimpse into what she's missed while she was gone. HTH.

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We have a baby book that is the traditonal baby book but eliminates the pregnancy piece. We created a seperate book with "The story of me" on it that explains the adoption and starts with a picture of us prior to the adoption, how we were happy but were missing "one thing" and walks you through the trip to the hospital (pictures of us on the plane, etc). It show her birthmom, early pictures, us getting back on the plane and ends with a picture of all of us as a family.
    I wish I had thought to leave it open ended so she could add to it. The book is totally worn because we read it all of the time so maybe we may want to recreate the whole thing so she can add. .
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 10:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• That is too cool it is worn out.
    frogdawg

Comment by frogdawg (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You rock! Thanks for the link! I am excited. Plus I better get crackin, can't not do the assignment from his therapist. I would have my head in the hall of shame forever. My son is excited he can draw to...his first was this picture of like eight babies and he had his therapist write a caption that is a question not a statement. Here we go! He is really happily relieved to be doing this :)
    frogdawg

Comment by frogdawg (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Oh yeah, put in the story of his adoption. Why his mother couldn't keep him, how much you wanted him and how long you waited for him...
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2010