Is this legal or what?

I have been with my job 4 months. After my 90 day probation period was up, I was promised a rasie. Well, around the time I should have gotten my raise, my husband was called to go to Hatie to help with the Hurricane that never showed up. When we got the call, I called my supervisor to let her know what was going on. (my husband is a soldier, and they have known this from the get-go) Well, he was never deployed. I am now being told that I can not get a raise bc they dont know if I will be here for long term as an employee since my husband is a soldier and can be PSCd or deployed at anytime. I have stressed the fact that IF it were to happen, I will give ample notice. What I am concerned about, is they keep telling me what a great employee I am, I go whereever they ask me to ( I am a phlebotomist, I draw blood for a lab and sometimes I have to cover other draw stations.) , but yet they dont want to reward me for being such a "great employee" due to my husband being military? Is this legal or should I just let it go? I am the lowest paid employee with this company(found this out by them sending me the wrong pay stub!) but yet I am certified, and many of the companys phlebs are not certified. What should I do? We are barely making ends meet now due to the fact I only work part time(they have no full time spots open), and whatever I make goes to daycare cost. I am really getting frustrated, and just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Thanks

army_wife0929

Asked by army_wife0929 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• If it's an "At Will" state...they can do whatever the hell they want. Even fire you because they don't like your eye color on a particular day.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• What do you mean by "At Will" state... I have never heard of this!
    army_wife0929

Comment by army_wife0929 (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't know if it's legal, but it's a crappy thing to do.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• They fire you for whatever reason or no reason. PA is one.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• at will .....means they can hire and fire without really given you a reason....and being a part time employee in most states dont get a raise sorry....and i say if your check is going to daycare you'd be better off at home looking for a new job.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• ok thanks. I looked it up and Nc is one of the states, but since they have one of the largest military bases, I am going to contact the labor board when I get off at noon. I appreciate it and I do think its shitty.
    army_wife0929

Comment by army_wife0929 (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• An at will state means they hire you at will and can fire you at will. That you can quit at will. Basically they can do whatever they want.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was promised a raise after 90 days...I asked for them to e-mail it to me so I would have it in writing an they never did...so I am guessing now I am screwed.
    army_wife0929

Comment by army_wife0929 (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would go to work for a plasma procurement center full time, and leave this gig alone.
    Those centers have excellent pay and benefits. Hell, I may go back myself one day :)

And don't tell them about your business. End of story, you never share the "possibilities" with your employer, until you know for sure it's going to happen. Like --- 2 weeks before it happens.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 1:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• At least they were honest with you and didn't jack you around with excuses. Stay there for a while to get some experience until you can move on and do something else.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2010