Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

need help getting to america???

I'm an american citizen, but i've lived abroad for about 6 years now. i got married n had 2 children here. i was a minor before i left the states, my husband's about to lose his job, but my brother got him a new job in america. i filed the petition forms and everything. we havent gone to the appointment yet, but how am i supposed to sponsor. I don't have a job there or here, or have tax pay history. can my brother sponsor? his income is far above the poverty line and he offered to. i just wanna know before i pay the non refundable fees. thanks guys.dont give me links to the uscis website, i've read but just want a clearer answer. thanks!!!


Asked by fefe87 at 9:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Travel

Level 16 (2,737 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • It depends on your circumstances. Your husband is considered immediate family to you (an american citizen) and will probably get a visa number faster if you sponsored him then if your brother sponsores him as his "brother-in-law". The place that is willing to hire him can forward papers stating they will hire him, that usually will help his case. I believe the main point you need to prove is that you have a valid marriage which you can do ie two kids, common address etc. You can contact your local congressman's office as well, they usually have a staff person solely devoted to immigration cases.

    Answer by norrs12 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • I don't know, but, since there's a doubt, and your brother is willing to sponsor him, why not just do that to be safe? Also, you should be able to call the nearest Consulate or Embassy, and they can give you a more clear answer.

    I know that when my dh and I were getting our dd's Consular Report of Birth Abroad and all of that straight, they were able to answer questions for us over the phone, no costs or anything associated to it.

    Good luck!

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • patrioticPlease capitalize America. Just a pet peeve of mine. It's a name like any other and it's my country. Thank you!


    Answer by meandmyshadow at 5:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

  • I'd talk to the American Embassy where you live.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 6:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2010