Herniated Discs, anyone else?

if so how do you deal with the pain?
what do you take if anything?
exercises?

tenkerbail

Asked by tenkerbail at 9:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Health

• I tried to life weights and it made it much worse.Chiro made it really bad too. I try not to take too many meds if any. But those heating peel off pads work great! Walking is good.Treadmill, cardio is good. GL I know how you feel. It really suxs sometimes, but I have been like this for so many years that I becoming immune to the pain.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Swim. It's the best thing you can do. It takes the weight off the injury while using gentle, smooth resistance.
    Also...drugs. I've been on pain meds for a while. Exercising helps with the depression that comes of taking narcotics for an extended period of time.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I had a herniated disc for 14 months that went undiagnosed. I was pregnant and my pcp kept saying oh, that's just aches and pains of pregnancy, go home and take some Tylenol(yes he was male). So I was suffering with this and it got to a point where I literallly couldn't get out of bed, walk, etc. I was in TERRIBLE pain and they gave me every drug in the pharmacy pratically and nothing worked. Finally I got a different dr that would listen and she ordered an MRI and I had a herniated disc that had RUPTURED. They sent me to the hospital. My son was nearly 5 months old. I now have permanent nerve damage and numbness because it went on for so long. I had surgery and they removed part of the disc at 21. The surgeon told my family in the waiting room that it was the worse he had ever seen and that he couldn't believe I had suffered like this for so long. I'm ok now. It's been 5 years and I take extremely good care of my back!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My husband has a herniated disk. Has had it since February 2010. The only thing that has given him a little relief is the Aqua Therapy. Swimming, pool activites, etc. He's been on Vicodin, Lorcet, Perkset (spell check) and is on Anti-depressants (due to everything that's been going on, him not being able to get up some days, etc.) He's got nerve damage. We're waiting on surgery to get approved. Good luck dealing with the pain, it's hard. I see my husband struggle each and every day with it. It's hard.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2010