How many regular ultrasounds did you ladies have?

Regular ultrasounds just to see the baby. I know there's the one to determine the gender (at 20 weeks?). But did you have 3 - one for each trimester... or did you only have one towards the middle of the pregnancy. (this question is in reference to regular pregnancy - not high risk... b/c i think high risk needs more than one)

Mamma2E

Asked by Mamma2E at 9:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• With my 1st and 2nd pregnancies I had two ultrasounds - one around 8-12 weeks and another between 18-20.
    My 3rd pregnancy I had multiple ultrasounds to determine gender. My marriage was falling apart, I had 2 boys and really wanted a girl. She was turned the wrong way for my OB to see at the 20 week ultrasound so he did one for me at every appointment until we saw her "parts" He was a good friend and knew the situation.
    My 4th and 5th were high risk, so multiple ultrasounds as well.

Answer by missanc at 9:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I had an internal at 8 weeks, then an external at 11 weeks and then the big one at 20 weeks, where they check everythign and can tell you the sex of the baby. After that I had one more, but that was not a regularly scheduled u/s - I think sometimes at teh very end they will do one to check the positioning of the baby, but its not totally necessary.
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 9:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I had 3 with my first regular pregnancy and 3 with my second because they thought they saw something on the 2nd ultrasound that looked bad and it was confirmed by a specialist with the 3rd ultrasound to be nothing at all. They do ultrasounds for all kinds of reasons. Especially if they can't figure out baby's size or age.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 9:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• With my first I had 5 ultrasounds. One when I found out I was pregnant to determine how far along, a second to make sure everything was ok and gender and the rest was because I was having contractions 2 & 1/2 months early and was dilating. My blood pressure was high during the last trimester and was having a lot of regular contractions - I was given stress test at least once week for the last 2 months.

Second pregnancy I only had one ultrasound. LOL I didn't find out I was pregnant until about 20 weeks so that I was the only ultrasound I got. I had no clue I was pregnant except for gaining 5lbs in those 20 weeks I had no symptoms of pregnancy.
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was mid level risk, so I had 4.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 9:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was only supposed to have one at 18 weeks, but I ended up with another at 36 weeks because he was measuring small, and one at 41 weeks to check fluid levels
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• With my son and daughter I had 3 the while time. This pregnancy with twins I get one at every appt and more from the specialist I'm seeing as well. I could probably fill a photo album with their US pics before they even get here lol very nice of the doc to print some for me each time even though he doesn't have to.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I only had one (insurance) we tried to pay for the 3d but he was breeched and didn't cooperate. Even though I had a miscarrage 2 months before I was preg twith my son they still didn't think I was high risk enough to do others
    aus14

Answer by aus14 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Okay, thank you ladies! I ask because my insurance doesn't cover ultrasounds and I'll be paying out of pocket. I'm 13 weeks so i thought i should have one now. I was tryign to figure out if it's absolutely necessary... or if i should wait until 20 weeks and just have the one.
    Mamma2E

Comment by Mamma2E (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• first pregnancy - 1, around 20 weeks, to check growth, etc
    second - 1, around 21 weeks, to check growth, etc
    third - 1, around 22 weeks or so, to check growth and because we wanted to try to find out the sex
    fourth - 2, first around 12 weeks due to major cramping, second around 23 weeks, to check growth and try to find out sex
    fifth - 1, around 22 weeks, to check growth and try to find out sex

our hospital/doctors are not all for multiple ultrasounds unless you have problems. even labeled high-risk i did not have extras. it was not an insurance thing, it was (still is) just the norm here. i never heard of having so many ultrasounds til my sister in law had multiple problems, and here on cafemom.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2010