Do you think that most Americans enjoy talking about travel and art, or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Travel

• Most are not well enough versed in either topic to engage in such conversations.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:41 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I do, and many of my friends do. We all travel a lot (we're military, and a lot of our friends are/were military - so we've lived in a lot of places, and have explored them). Also, we enjoy books, art, etc.

However, I do have to be honest and say that there's a part of me that cringes when I hear questions like this (not just here, but in "real life", too). I'm NOT saying this is how you meant it, but usually, when I hear this, it's being asked by someone who wants to feel and act superior to others, and wants to play the "well, are you as well traveled, well read, and artistically sensitive as I am???"... It's also frequently followed by some "American bashing", as if the person (and their small group of elite friends) are the only non Neanderthal Americans in existence.

Again - I'm NOT saying this is how you meant it, just that sometimes people who like these things are wary of this question, if you kwim :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Some Americans do, some Americans don't, just like any other country. I personally don't like to travel, but I do enjoy art and music.

I agree with sailorwifenmom that these questions always seem to have the ulterior motive of implying how stupid Americans are. There are intelligent, thoughtful people as well as ignorant, lazy people in every human population.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I love to talk about Art and I do travelling its good to talk here other people talk about where they have been as well.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Travel yes, art not so much.... But I noticed foreigners love to travel and spend money but not on practical things. They will be broke but go on vacation.........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Travel, yes, but not art.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Depends on who you know ..
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• idk to be honest
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think people tend to enjoy talking more about traveling than art.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 6:55 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• depends on who you are & which one you like to talk about
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2010