Great Value (Walmart brand) laundry soap....

Does anyone know if this soap is based on Tide or Gain? I am wanting to switch laundry soaps but have to be VERY careful what I buy due to my husband. The only cheap brand I can buy is Arm and Hammer. He can use Gain but it is expensive. So I was thinking the Great Value if it isn't based on Tide.
TIA

palexander

Asked by palexander at 9:42 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Shopping

• Yes it sure it. When I was merchandising, we had to go through a training program for Walmart. Anything with that label is the exact same ingredient of the product sitting next to it. Now, here is the kicker though.. is that the same as a generic drug? Because recently I learned that the generic drug can have different fillers and dyes. So, I would make sure to read the entire label and compare to the Tide.

Good luck.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You'd have to check the ingredients labels if they are printed on them. Why do you have to be careful? Sensitivities??? Perhaps you should try making your own from scratch. It costs about $10 in supplies but that makes about 2 YEARS worth of laundry detergent.

The basic recipes is a grated bar of ivory or fels naptha soap (ivory is better for sensitive skin), Washing Soda (arm and hammer is found on the laundry aisle as a laundry booster) and Borax (some make a milder version substituting Baking Soda for Borax)....and a 5 gallon bucket.

Just grate a bar of the soap, melt in a pot with about a half gallon of water. Once melted pour into the bucket, add 2 cups of washing soda and 2 cups of borax (or baking soda for a milder version), stir until dissolved then add 3 gallons of water. As it cool it makes a liquid/gel. Use 1/4 cup per regular load and up to 1/2 cup for larger loads.....this one batch uses roughly $3.50
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Might I also suggest the Purex 3 in 1 sheets? Thats what we use and it's only like $5 for a ton of loads worth and its the soap, softener and laundry sheet in one!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I figured it was the same. I guess I can buy a small box and wash a small load of clothes and see if they break anyone out.

Thanks so much.
    palexander

Comment by palexander (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• ......in supplies and lasts about 6 months. Both versions, whether you use borax or baking soda are mild enough for baby clothes and it does a wonderful job of cleaning.... no fragrances other than a light ivory soap smell, no chemicals to aggrivate sensitive skin.....but sometimes borax can bother some people which is why some use baking soda instead.

You can add a 1/2 cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle as a natural chemical free fabric softener.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I can't use anything Purex. My husband is VERY sensitive to most laundry soap.

As for making my own, I literally have NO place to store it. The shelf I use now for my soap has to hold our towels, sheets, and laundry soap. We had to down side our home back in August, so I lost half the space and 3/4 the storage.
    palexander

Comment by palexander (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I literally keep my bucket on top of my dryer....and I have an old 1/4 plastic dollar store scoop attached with a string to the handle. But you can make a powder version of the same recipe.......I've always made it a liquid but I think it's the same recipe minus the water and using a tablespoon instead, the powder version would fit in a small tupperware kind of container and take up less room than the average commercialy bought detergent....and still cost a lot less and work better!!!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I will look into and see if I can find the exact recipe and all the stuff I need. Thank you
    palexander

Comment by palexander (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I'm not sure. You could go to the store and get the questions/comments number off of the product and call them first to make sure. that way you aren't wasting your money on something you can't use and he doesn't have to break out for you to find out he can't use it. :)

I usually buy the Sun (I think that's the brand) one because it is actually cheaper then the Wal-Mart brand one. but he may break out from that also.

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:02 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Mom2Jack04, can you then wash your dish you made it ina nd it is okay to cook in later... or do you need to use one specific pot to melt it in only for that?

I never even thought about making my own laundry soap! And I could reuse the container I have soap in now because it has the squirt nosel thing and a cup already. :)

Can you use different soaps if you want to? Like Irish Spring to give it a different scent.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2010