Xmas carols..-non religious mommas-

I'm atheist, but I absolutely love religious Xmas carols, what about the rest of you non-religious ladies?

gabrielle_x

Asked by gabrielle_x at 9:45 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I hate Christmas music, as a whole. Maybe it comes from working in a mexican restaurant over christmas for 5 years and hearing every stupid song on an hour loop for 8-10 hours a day.
    Now, if you give me a good cover...like Bad Religion doing Silent Night, I will rock out. Otherwise I will piss and moan about it.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• yep, my favorite is Oh Holy Night ironically enough
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I've never been fond of xmas music. I enjoy instrumentals, but not carols. When my children sing them at school I have them insert the same of a different deity.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Not a huge fan in general. I worked retail at Christmas with the same music over and over again. There are some modern covers and contemporary songs that I like. I definitely won't go out of my way to listen to them but they don't make me switch stations either.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• What child is this is ironically my favourite, I DO love Greensleeves so that could be it..

In the back of my head though I'm thinking,"Ehh..that's not true.." lol.
    gabrielle_x

Comment by gabrielle_x (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Eh..I prefer Carol of the Bells and Jingle Bell Rock over religious songs. Although, I do catch myself singing Silent Night a lot..I'm even writing a song for my Son with the same melody. It was unintentional, as I was just playing around when singing the actual song the other day, but I decided to continue it. lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 9:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I ADORE Christmas music, and while I'm atheist myself, some of the prettiest are the religious ones. Josh Groban's O Holy Night just gives me shivers every time I hear it. Then again, I get pretty into "I Wanna Hippopotumus for Christmas", too.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 9:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We like Trans Siberian Orchestra. They seriously kick some ass!!

Otherwise, some of my favorites are Jingle Bell Rock, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Sleigh Ride, Winter Wonderland.

Just like the rest of the year ... I hate slow sappy music. Little Drummer Boy is one I really hate but my hubby really likes.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I love carols. I also love high renaissance religious art. Just because I''m not religious doesn't mean that I can't appreciate things that are religious.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:02 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• LOL, SpiritedWitch! I was going to say that I absolutely love Little Drummer Boy. I get all teary-eyed at that one!

I like Christmas music for the most part.  I could do without the more "worship/hymnal" songs, but I like the seasonal ones, and even some that are about the Christian aspect of the holiday, too--mostly because they are nostalgic for me.

I'd probably like them more, but starting sometime in November, retailers pipe Christmas music over their intercoms, so it's nearly 45 days of nonstop Christmas carols--my daughter also leaves her radio tuned to the same station every day, and they do the same thing.  I get sick of hearing the same songs over and over and over. . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2010