What generic or store brand items do you love or hate?

With the rising price of coffee, I decided recently to try the Great Value (Wal-Mart) brand coffee and it's awful. I usually get either Folgers (my favorite) or Maxwell House (when they're on sale) or Kroger brand Colombian. The Kroger stuff is pretty decent, and I figured the Great Value would be comparable, but it's not...it's bitter and leaves a bad aftertaste. So for me, this buck saved was not worth it. Sometimes it is though, with certain grocery or household items.
What about you? What off-brands have you had the most or least success with?

vicesix

Asked by vicesix at 9:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• I agree with you Courtney on the Walmart coffee. We had it for the first time recently, still have a little left & told DH to never get it again. But he really likes Great Value French dressing. We've had Winn Dixie brand colombian coffee & it is good. Off brand butter is fine, as long as it is salted. But, most off brand snacks are too salty.

Definitely don't like any off brand toilet paper. Did Sunlight dishwasher liquid recently & like that. Seems to be even better then Cascade, now a days. Will have to try the Target brand.
    christianmom55

Answer by christianmom55 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I like the Kroger products, the spaghetti sauce was actually the best I have tasted.
    One brand I refused to use was the Parent's Choice diapers, they didn't work at all. White Cloud was good.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I like Target brand dishwasher detergent. Works just as well as name brand.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 9:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think Walmart's ceral is awful. I'll try anything generic though at least once lol. I use all generic otc drugs when needed and can't tell a difference. I've used Walmart's trash bags for years and they're ok. DD drink's Target's organic milk and she likes it. I like Walmart's Magic erasers. The tolietries tend to be better value than the food a lot of time when you go generic because I think we get accustomed to how a particular flavor is. We care less about paper towels and car oil lol.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 9:55 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• The Safeway house brand coffee creamers are good. They have a wide variety of flavors that are just as yummy as Coffemate.

I've found a lot of Kirkland Sig stuff from Costco is great. We don't have one near us but we stock up on things when we visit the inlaws out of town. We do have a couple of small stores in the area that carry Kirkland things. The little corner store down the road sells the huge canisters of Folgers coffee, 300+ cups, for $10. I also love their cleaning products and baby wipes.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• just got some cheese slices that were store brand... GAG!!!!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 10:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Kroger cereal- HUGE boxes, filled 1/3 of the way full of cereal. If you don't look at the weight you don't realize you're getting half the amount of cereal for-- well half the price. Plus it just tasted really really bad.

I also can't stand store brand toilet paper! Never again!!!!

But I think the condiments and other food items are okay. We'll probably keep buying them =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Never use generic paper products. They are horribly thin and you'll end up using more.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i use alot of the kroger brands, cant really tell to much of a difference (except the chips, way to salty) one thing that i love though is the kroger brand christmas butter sugar cookies, only $1 a box and really yummy.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Offbrand lucky charms are the best. more marshmallows. Offbrand fruity pebbles and capn crunch suck though. Kroger brand "slim-rite" chocolate flavor is SOOOOOO much better than slim fast. Great value macncheese, or any generic macncheese just about, it 10x better than kraft. Kraft is SO not the cheesiest. I can't stand it. Kroger brand eggnog fails. Very little flavor. the whipped cream (heavy, not light) is better than reddiwhip though. offbrand canned fruits and veggies suck. I know the green giant and dole cost more, but they're worth it.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2010