Slim pickens this Christmas..

I have 4 kids,2 married,2 teen boys at home and 2 little grandgirls to buy Christmas for on a very slim budget.My grown dd's never go to the dollar stores,they have always acted like when u buy from there,its not good enough.I may have to buy my Grandgirls toys there.Some of their stuff I've noticed lately is getting better.I know its the thought that counts,I taught them that as well,so why do I feel I have to buy at the top notch places?I don't have the money this year.plus their inlaws always go all out for them.I always feel like what we buy them is never good enough and know better than to let them make me feel this way.We can do only what we can right?but I still feel not inferior but always over done.Does this make sense?sorry just don't know how to buy this year.and I tend to start writing about everything.Anyone have this similar problem?:)

karencrouch

Asked by karencrouch at 9:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Shopping

• If you're trying to convince yourself, it's a losing battle. Decide on what you want to spend or can spend, stick to that. If you can't afford to buy for everyone, tell them. I am sure your family would agree that if you can just buy a small item for the younger children, that is good enough.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:56 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• From the sounds of you older ones, they ares spoiled...so I would get them a box of chocolates and a card and use the rest for the kids.

Kids are the fun part of this holiday anyways..adults can get their own stuff....tell them its a financially tough year and they should be old enough to understand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Instead of material giftsyou can gifts that really count. Coupon Book from Grandma. One can say spend the day with Grandma, another one can say Cookies from Grandma, and an after noon at the Park with Nana. I am doing a coupon book for my son with drawings I make that are cute. It is about making memories. Handmade somethings? Are you crafty? Making homemade soaps for the adults...expensive to start up but once you get all the supplies you can do your own shapes, pick out a few oils for the scents and make homemade wrappers for them. Not your thing? (I'm not crafty so that would be a no for me) This one for the grand kids is cool and easy. Take old crayons and shave them down with a pencil sharpener. Put the shavings in a baking tin with various fun shapes. Bake them. Let them cool. Fun shaped crayons. Gormet cookies for the adults. I love the no bake rum balls I do and put them in great baskets to use all

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:12 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• year round. No money does not mean that there has to be no gifts. I bet you could get a ton of posters on this board to give you great suggestions for awsome homemade or thrifty gifts. And there is such a great way to dress up dollar store gifts. One thing for grandkids...you can tie a jump rope around the package instead of ribbon. Jump ropes are at the dollar store and they make it more exciting. Little soldiers or match box cars on top of the wrapped gift. Tons of ways to be inexpensive but fantastically good looking.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If your adult kids expect gifts and only want the best for their kids...not sure where you went wrong there but I won't judge you. My oldest acts like a spoiled brat expecting the best and everything she wants and we sure didn't raise her that way so I understand (she's 10 1/2). Personally, we don't buy for adults. Neither did my parents. And I can't imagine expecting my dad to get stuff for my kids if he barely had any money. In fact there have been many years he DIDN'T get things for my kids and I was fine with that. It's not his job to get Christmas presents for MY kids. I already emailed him this year and told him if he was considering getting gifts to just send money for clothes because they need that more than toys. I expect nothing from him, though and the last time he got me a gift was in 2008 (bit surprise). For the teens...I would hope they would understand and get them something small.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:52 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I am going to make memories of baking with my grands. We also have slim...slim pickens so create memories and I think you may be surprized at how much it is important. We give baked goods to all our neighbors as well.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 12:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010