How long should you wait after missing your period to take a pregnancy test and get the most accurate results

Ive been trying to have a baby but my periods are somewhat irregular. My cycles are usually a minimum of 28 days and a max of 31 and it is the 33rd day of my cycle and no period. I took a test this morning and it was negative so should i just take it as a negative or take it again in a few days?

rockabell2003

Asked by rockabell2003 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• most of the time the box says 10 days for the most accurate results. So...yeah. At least a week, if still negative with no results I would wait another week and retest. After that, if still negative, i would see my doctor.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Usually you can take a hpt on the first day of your missed peroid.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 10:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Since the otc tests are checking for hormone levels, yes, wait.

When I was pregnant with my twins, ALL of the urine tests (even at the doctors office) were negative. The blood (serum) was very positive, and so was the pelvic (physical) test.
    Anonymous

• YOU CAN GET THE ONES THAT CAN DETECT EARLY PREGNANCY LIKE FIRST RESPONSE THAT CAN DETECT UP TO 4 DAYS BEFORE YOUR MISSED PERIOD BUT IF YOU GET THE REGULAR TESTS THEN YOU HAVE TO WAIT ATLEAST 10 DAYS AFTER YOUR MISSED PERIOD.
    mhoelzer2988

Answer by mhoelzer2988 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 6, 2008