How do you feel about gift cards for the Holidays?

Some people like to give them because the receiver can choose exactly what they want. Some people think they are impersonal and you may as well keep your own money. What do you think?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 10:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Holidays

• I think it depends. If you jsut get a gift card because you have no idea what to give then it is impersonal. If you give itunes to a 13 yr old who is always listening to music then its thoughtful. If your mom needs clothes and loves Coldwater creek then its thoughtful.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• LOVE EM
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 10:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I can see both sides of the situation. I personally like them cause I can chose what I want instead of someone trying to guess what I like in the hopes that I do like what they chose.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• One day it wa a hurricane type weather going on and the last day before going to a party. I went to a supermarket and bought 2 $25 dollar gift cards to Bed, Bath and Beyond. Props to the supermarkets that carry all store gift cards. You do not have to drive to the mall anymore. Ugh. I hate those crowds....
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 10:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• it depends on the person I think. I think younger children would rather a present and older children would like giftcards. I would rather have a gift card then someone buy me something i cant use.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 10:16 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I try to avoid giving them as much as possible, but for those hard to buy for people it's almost required.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I only like them for people that you don't know very well and/or won't get to see very often, so you can send them in the mail. Maybe I have issues with them because of my experiences. My husband got me a gift card for Hot Topic a couple of years ago...while I was standing 5 feet away, then I ended up using about half of it for his stuff. Nice lol.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think they are impersonal. Unless it's for someone you don't know well.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i love them because maybe you dont really know what they like or maybe they like something that you dont know so when you give them the gift card they can get what they want them self with out you getting something they dont lke
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I personally Love, Love,Love them... our grandson is getting a few from his Aunts for certain game stores and that is sooooo
    perfect... we can make a day outing and let HIM buy what game he wants ...and it's something that HE wanted...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010