Almost 3 year old has no interest in being potty trained?

I babysit him. I take him every 30 minutes and he always pees and most of the time stays dry. But he poops in his underwear and he'll pee in them if he needs to go and will just sit in it. I ask him where is supposed to go and he says potty. And he'll say he doesn't want to go in his underwear. But then he does and he doesn't care. Any advice???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let him set the pace. My son potty trained himself at 3yrs (seriously right after his 3rd birthday). He suddenly decided he was ready, and started asking for the potty. He still has some trouble pooping, but he tries to make it to the toilet. Remember that pooping is harder for children than peeing. They see it as losing part of themselves. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• had that problem with my oldest....rewarding and encouraging simply did not work...I had to become a bit of a meany! started taking away favorites if he went in his pants... first it was no movies in my bed (he was in a huge Lion KIing phase so he was sad) then it was taking away his trains then his passy (yep he still had it at rest time--this was my fav as I never gave it back!) when the next time came and it was going to be loosing his favorite blankky (he calls it GREEN and took it all over) he started going and never stopped!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 10:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Im in the same boat he get excited when he goes in the potty and loves his underwear but still goes in them. It just takes time. I also hear his dad was potty trained by 1 etc....
    aus14

Answer by aus14 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My son is 3.5 and we're potty training now. He does GREAT....when he's naked, lol. For about a month now he's been naked as much as possible, the first week, if he wore underwear, a pullup, or even pants without underwear, he'd have accidents. The second week if he wore anything he'd mostly have accidents, but sometimes make it to the potty, 3rd week crap shoot, but now, although I still keep him naked at home as much as possible, he has been running to the bathroom to go even when fully clothed. This is a far cry from potty training my daughter who got it no problem in literally 2 days. Sigh. They do say boys are tougher. Not sure if its possible in your situation to try keeping him naked, at least waist down, but its worth a shot. Oh, also I did the reward method with him to start, but haven't done that since the first couple of days. GL!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I had the same problem with my son at the same age. It took close to 6 months before he'd consistently go to the bathroom on his own. Until that time, I just kept taking him regularly. I gradually increased the amount of time between visits. I found rewards helped. He loves cars so I told him he get a car for pooping on the potty then I watched him like hawk. The first time I was able to catch him and get him to poop on the potty, we made a big deal about getting a car. That did the trick. (I buy them on sale or get inexpensive ones.) Peeing took longer. I found getting angry was totally counterproductive. I'd offer up a small reward if he peed on the potty all by himself (no reminders, no nothing). If he had an accident, I changed him without comment. If he went by himself, he got a treat. Still took a while but gradually he got the idea. Some kids simply take longer to realize the feeling of needing to pee.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My son will be three at the end of the month and he seriously has no interest either. I even put him on the toilet every 15 minutes for about 10 minutes at a time one day and he didn't go on the toilet once, and by the end of the day he would scream when I'd go to put him on. He would just pee the second he got back in his underwear. He knows what it is, what it does, how it works, he just doesn't care.

When he was younger we were working with him and he would go, and get excited, but we had to move in with family and it was, like, 6 of us to one bathroom, so we didn't get to work with him while we were living there, and now that we're back on our own we're having trouble getting him interested again.... I worked with him to the point we were both so frusterated that I figured I'd give him until his birthday to show an interest or I'd try to find another approach...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My was 3 years and 2 months when he potty trained. He also potty trained himself in a week. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• H'll come aroun at his own time
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yep, let him be ready on his own. Boys take longer usually (there are always exceptions) but I have 3 sons all potty trained. I waited until they were ready. I never ever took my kids to the potty just in case. When it is time, they know how to listen to their own bodies, and will get there on their own. Don't sweat this one.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2010