Are there any natural remedies or ways to get over ppd?

Instead of going to the doc and getting meds?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Health

• Exercise. I have anxiety and taking a daily walk helps me more than medication ever did. It releases endorphins. Drink enough water, get as much sleep as you can with a baby, and they also make homeopathic stress relief tablets that are safe to take and they really do make you feel more calm, without without all the side effects and not in a "high" way. Exercise has always been my fave though...especially when the sun is out. The light added to the movement is a double whammy of "fell good" hormone production. Also, you should talk with other moms who know how you feel. That can make you feel more sane. I know it does for me. :-) Good luck! And congrats on the baby, whenever he or she was born!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Talk therapy is always good. Find a therapist who specializes in postpartum issues. Also, vitamin B and Omega 3's help.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:19 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Oh...and if you are breastfeeding, ask a professional before taking anything. And the B vitamin that is most beneficial is B12.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree with ballewal. Omega 3's (from fish) have shown amazing results in studies. If you ppd is not to bad your doctor might prescribe therapy and then check back with you. I would still go to the doctor even if you don't want meds. That way someone can keep an eye on things to make sure you are improving the way you should.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 10:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I can't agree with @ErinHill226 more. Exercise is the best thing when you are feeling depressed. It helps balance out what is causing the depression in the first place and it relieves stress. I know it might be the last thing you feel like doing, but put the baby in the stroller and go out for a quick brisk walk. This never fails to lift my mood and get me motivated to start my day. Good luck!
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 10:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2010