Does anyone else know someone who is unemployed and taking advantage of the unemployment system?

I know of SEVERAL people who are unemployed at the moment, most for the last 2 years. They have had the extended benefits and don't seem to be in too motivated to get a job. I find it irritating to listen to them blame everything on the economy and want more benefits even though one of these people live in my neighborhood and there is a job available right down the street and another one just a few miles away. They may not be the job he WANTS but it would be a paycheck. I had another person who was hired to work PT in my office she was always leaving early and come to find out she said she was one of the "lucky" ones to get in on the extended benefits and was still recieving them so it didn't matter if she left early because she was getting the difference from unemployment.

I'm sick of listening to people complain when I see help wanted signs every where and people just don't want to have to do whatever that job may be, it's a PAYCHECK! I have had alot of jobs I didn't particularly love but I had to do what I had to do to live.

Unemployment is much like welfare in my opinion it is there to give you a helping hand not to LIVE off of.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• I try not to associate myself with people like that. I have a smart mouth and I'm quick to speak my mind. I work three jobs and I don't need friends that are living off the system. I've seen a lot of people abuse the system and honestly it makes me sick. I mean, after 2 years if you can't find a job you're not looking hard enough. I have 3 jobs...3. I just got a call this morning for another interview. If I can find a job with only a HS diploma anyone can if they want it bad enough.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 10:22 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I know of two and it's ironic because they are both staunch republicans who claim to be against it but don't mind taking it for their own benefit... It's hard not to lose respect for them.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 10:27 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Well Sweetpea...I work three jobs and I'm a single mom. So if I can do it anyone can. There are no excuses
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 11:06 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was trying to find people to work for me recently all I hired were currently employed elsewhere. Those I interviewed who were unemployed would bomb their interviews. The jobs I had paid 14 to start after 120 days they would be bumped to 18 and hour this was for unskilled maintenance work. In our area 10-11 and hour is the standard pay for that job. I also was giving full benefits with two weeks paid vacation, dental, medical and a vision plan. I called one guys bluff after he posted on FB he dodged another job. He turned me down he didn't want to work he wants to collect his unemployment. Funny thing is he called me three days ago said he would be losing his unemployment and needed a job. Told him too bad all my jobs are filled and I wouldn't hire him if someone paid me to. He was mad but hopefully at himself had he not been a loser he would have a solid job right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• "you got to do what you got to do" sweetpea? How about all the other people who work 2-3 jobs and don't get to see their families as much as they would like??? You are doing what you got to do you are doing nothing but collecting benefits.

You have other options I won't bother listing them you will have a reason why each one won't work for you. People like you are a drain on our economy and productivity. Sucks your kids will learn by your example and be like you someday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Same here, I wouldn't take a job paying less than the benefits amount either. Also, they are probably also on Medicaid and Food Stamps...not the food stamps so much but a lot of job these days paying $8 an hr don't offer medical benefits and if you do get the job, you lose your Medicaid. If you have a family of two adults and three kids...one little medical mishap without some type of coverage and the entire family can go under.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Who doesn't? It's bad, isn't it. Some of us bust our butt to find work, work 2-3 jobs... that's called honest, hard working people. So, WAY TO GO!!!!! The unemployment benefits will run out. We have jobs.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:42 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• STOP BASHING ME!!! YOU DON'T KNOW MY DAMN SITUATION. DH IS SET IN HIS STUBBORN WAYS. HE CHOOSES TO BE A NIGHT OWL AND SLEEP DURING THE DAY. I'VE TRIED CHANGING HIS MIND ABOUT IT MANY TIMES. SO DD WON'T GET TAKEN CARE OF IF I DO HAVE 2-3 JOBS. DAYCARE IS.SO EXPENSIVE SO I WOULD STILL BE BEHIND ON BILLS. I WAS IN THE MILITARY AND GOT OUT IN APRIL CAUSE BEING OVERWEIGHT I COULDN'T STAY IN AND DD WAS HOME WITH DH WHILE I HAD AN OBLIGATION TO FULFILL. SHE WAS UNDERWEIGHT AT ALL HER APPOINTMENTS CAUSE OF HIM FOR THE FACT I STILL COULDN'T AFFORD CARE. MY COMMAND COULD CARE LESS WHAT GOES ON WITH OTHER FAMILIES UNLESS THE CAUSE IS PHYSICAL ABUSE. THEN THEY WOULD STEP IN AND ONLY THEN. SO IF I DID GET MORE THAN ONE JOB DD WOULD BECOME AN ANNOREXIC 21 MONTH OLD AND I DON'T WANT THAT. I DO LOVE DH AND I KNOW HE LOVES US BUT DAMN IF HE DOESN'T CHANGE! SO GO BASH SOMEONE FOR BEING SELFISH. LIKE I SAID I HAVE TO DO WHAT THE HELL I HAVE DO.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• you obviously didn't read my WHOLE statement. What would you do if you had a dh who didn't take care of your LO and daycare.isn't an option. I have no friends or family in the town I'm in to help me with the well being of my child. I can't move cause I'm barely getting by as it is. So please make a.solution for me before.you go saying there is no excuses??
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 2, 2010