Public, Private, Homeschool or Charter?

dubes

Asked by dubes at 10:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wish I could afford private but I love my kids public school
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Oh, homeschool... although it doesn't look anything at all like 'school' at home, which is quite a lot different from how we lived for those 20 or so years.

It seemed to me, upon reflection, that pretty much everything we take as a given about educating children is not only completely arbitrary and modern, but has a lot more to do with the realities of mass groups of single-aged children with only one instructor and the needs of the bureaucracy to install measurable programs (whether or not the measurements mean anything).

Testing finds out, as much as anything, how a child feels today and whether or not they've gathered or invented successful test-taking skills, rather than 'what this child knows about this subject'. Which is fascinating, but means I don't understand why they don't just measure the lengths of their femurs or something... for all the relevance it has. They sure think it's important, though...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We do private. Our kids grew up with a lot of their classmates which is why we went that route.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 10:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Right now we have a private school and I love his school. He has three certified teachers in his class for 17 kids. Multi age class so kids learn from each other, and it is not a traditional teaching style at all. Lack of diversity is a big issue for us so we are going to a local public school that has a Montessori program. A ton of diversity, a sea of diversity. Even the staff reflects what we are looking for. But higher ratios than what I prefer. It is a trade off. We also visited and toured our local charter school not to far from our home. It was interesting and there are real supporters and also some nay sayers. I am not thinking it is the best fit for my child. I'm not dogging it but still not what I think matches his needs, learning style, and personality. Homeschooling is on the table if private is not affordable or it is not what he needs at that time. I take into consideration his
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• needs and the situation. But because we are white and my son is black the diversity issue is so important to our family. He needs other people who look like him as peers and as mentors. School is a great way to get that and develop lasting relationships. It is by no means the only way...but I want him to have something separate from us.  I love that we have options.  I think it is unfortunate so many people have limited options and recognize that we are lucky.  And if the public Montessori does not work we plan on going back to his current school.  But at $1,000 a month...public will be a great saver too on the money we plan to put in the college/life fund.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Whatever works best for your family.

For us, I am very thankful to live in a town that has some of the best public schools in the state. So far so good =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Public if the schools in your towns/city/etc. are good otherwise private. Not that many charter schools around and pretty new concept heard decent things about them however.
    norrs12

Answer by norrs12 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It depends on you, your children, and your school system. For us the answer is homeschool.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 2:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• That's a personal decision, however, we homeschool and always will.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Whatever works best for you and your children. We have a great public school and so we will probably go public. My daughter attends a preschool that is also a private school and although I would love to send her there since she has already made friends I just can't see spending the money when we have such a great school system.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010