Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who do I contact if I want to file for custody?

Not child support but custody and will I need to higher a lawyer? How does the procedure work?

Answer Question

Asked by Jenaiko01 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 18 (5,334 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • friend of the court

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • Child support and custody should be handled by the same office. It should be in your county courthouse. A lawyer would probebly help depending on your situation. GL

    Answer by Finkette at 11:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • Contact your local court and ask them if they have legal help appts available. At my court it was a first come first serve basis and the lawyers who volunteer only take so many per day. You have to get to court super early to assure a space. They will go over all paperwork you need to fill out and then you can go to the court clerk and schedule a hearing date. Thats how it worked for me anyway. Good luck

    Answer by beyondhopes at 11:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • My advise is if at anytime you are going to court for anything related to your child to have an attorney present. They can run expensive but it is much better to shell out money then to take the chances of getting your right trampled on and not getting what you want established. Your first step needs to be to call around to talk to an attorney. Many times you can find one that has free consultations. they will point you in the right direction. But you should hire an attorney. That way you don't go into court blind.

    Answer by angelmine2011 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • Custody and child support are 2 different issues, BUT if you are in arreares on your child support, it looks more like a financial issue than a parenting issue to the courts. Do your research for a family law attorney and set up a few consultations to discuss your situation with them before giving anyone money. Custody suits are usually long, messy, and expensive, so choose your lawyer wisely.Unless your child is legally documented as abused or neglected, get ready to spend lots of money and time in court rooms.

    Answer by Daytripn at 11:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • IF the father agrees you can do it through family courts. But, if he is not going to agree then get an attorney. It's always best to consult an attorney before doing anything with custody. BTW, custody and child support are 2 separate issues.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
Do you?

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
What's your sign?