Is it ok to use a different formula?

My dd usually drinks enfamil with lipil and i ran out. all i have is a can of similac. Is it ok for me to give her that formula for a couple of days? What might go wrong?

punkomama08

Asked by punkomama08 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never had issues with switching but a small warning - if your baby has a sensetive stomach, it may bother her a bit at first.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• How old is she
    Star419

Answer by Star419 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• i learned its okay to switch from brands.. you just can't keep switching back and forth from milk-based to soy, hypoallergenic, then to non- lactose and back, etc. If you have no choice btw enfamil and similac's normal one is milk-based anyway, so go ahead.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 10:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I really think it depends on your baby's tummy. You can try it though.
    DevansMommy06

Answer by DevansMommy06 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• my dh uses similac and i ran out the other day and used enfamil and it upset her belly REALLy bad.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 10:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• BTW my dd is 9 months old
    punkomama08

Answer by punkomama08 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I think you daughter is old enough that she should be ok. It's recommended to stay on a formula for about a week after you switch, but I'm sure it won't be that big of a deal since you are only using it to get you through till you go to the store. Hope it sits well with her tummy.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I switch sometimes and I never have any problems... however I wouldn't recommend switching "types" of formula like soy, sensitive, lacto-free, and things like that.... but using the same "kind" just different brand shouldn't do anything to harm the baby. She may be a little more gassy for the first day but that's probably it.
    neverwrong8682

Answer by neverwrong8682 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• my understanding is you can switch between brands if it is the same TYPE of formula (ie not milk based to soy or soy to hypoallergenic etc) give it a shot. Its highly unlikely but watch for an allergic reaction (blood in stools inconsoleable crying swelling fever or rash)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2008