Why am I having such a hard time getting my 9 month old daughter to stay asleep?

I have to put her to sleep like 3 or 4 times before naps or even bed time. I have tried just letting her cry it out but 2 hours later she's still awake crying. She's always had the problem of staying asleep once i put her in her bed but it's really getting hard now. When she was a newborn she would sleep through the night occationally. When she would wake up it would only be once or twice. Now she's waking up 5 times a night and it's really wearing me out. I need some tips on getting her to sleep and staying asleep. It would be awesome if i could get her back to only waking up 1 or 2 times a night again. I am open to any suggestions.

Abby1108

Asked by Abby1108 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's an infant. This is all normal.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• uh, she is a little baby. Regardless of sleep you think you need, she still needs to be fed and cuddled and to know you are there. Her brain cannot grasp that you will be right there and not leave. She is all alone in a crib. Her stomach is no bigger than her fist and cannot hold but a mere ounce or two. She will continue to do this until her body and brain are ready for sleeping for longer periods and letting her cry or not doing what you need to do until she is ready is not a good thing for her development. In time, she will bend to your needs and schedule however, at nine months, I doubt she will.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Well, if you figure it out, I know at least a couple million other moms who would be interested in the answer.

Seriously, this is just what babies do. They outgrow it when they are developmentally able to. Are you co-sleeping?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No we don't co sleep. If my kids r sick i will sleep in the living room with them but i don't believe it's a good idea to have my kid in my bed with me. I know sometimes that's an even harder habbit to break.
    Abby1108

Comment by Abby1108 (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't know about that...my son did it until 4 only because it was easier in terms of space. He move no big deal.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Co-sleeping actually is NOT a habit that's hard to break. All kids stop doing it when they are ready. Which has nothing to do with what parents want, unfortunately.

I do sometimes think that we think of things backwards... and that PARENTS need to be broken of the idea that they will ever in their life get a long stretch of sleep again! (Because ot be very honest... you won't... it's forever going to be SOMETHING!)

Abby, pick up a copy of The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. You'll find it reassuring. Baby is 100% normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My 9 mo old is doing the exact same thing as did my other son. He now sleeps next to me and sleeps well. I don't get a restful night but he is much less irratable during the day. Both of my older kids did the same thing and transitioned with no problem at about a year old. Give it a try...it can't be any worse than it is now!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I've never had trouble putting my kids in their own bed when it is time. I think kids will try to crawl into bed with mom and dad if they've a mind to despite of what you do when they are infants. Some will do it no matter what, some won't. Currently, you're just depriving yourself of sleep for no reason.

You can part-time co-sleep, too. Start her in her own bed and bring her to yours when she wakes. When she eventually sleeps through the night, it will be in her bed, KWIM?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I feel bad some some of the attitudes probably aren't helping you. Some babies sleep "through the night" at 6 months, some don't. Mine does better if I give him rice cereal with his dinner. He's only 6 months old though. My friend was told by her doctor to give her baby, 10 mo. old, tylenol before bed. That way mom could get some sleep with daddy deployed. I don't like giving my kids meds, but sometimes, that's the last strand/resolution. Maybe try putting your baby in the same room as you for naps. My daughter has HORRIBLE nightmares if she sleeps by herself, but I make her anyway. She's going to have to get through it at some point. She has nightmares in my room, just not as bad. I would try the cereal, my doctor recommended it. Sometimes a pasi helps my son stay asleep too. Oh, and crying it out to a certain extent, doesn't hurt your baby. It actually teaches them patience at a young age and helps them learn to fall asleep.
    misslissaj3

Answer by misslissaj3 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010