Is it important for Mom (you) to get her own time/space/downtime?

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• What is this "space" or "down time" you speak of?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• First: how do you stop being yourself when someone else (at any age) is in the room? Or rather: who are you pretending to be the rest of the time? And whose time are you spending, the rest of the (not-me) time?

I know we have a culture of leisure and easy-living that makes anything that's even slightly difficult, or takes any kind of forethought or planning, or (dreadful to even suggest) putting aside something trivial for something important, completely repellent... but, really --

I love my family and find being with them joyful and rewarding to be with... how does it serve me to restrict my time with the people I love most?

A mother of 16 was interviewed, and asked 'how do you get alone time?' She answered: 'if I wanted to be alone, I wouldn't have had 16 kids.'

If you want to be alone, why have any other people? Lovers or friends or kids?

Or: why don't you be yourself and do what you want with people around you?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• YES!! It is VERY important to have "me time". Just because we became moms, doesn't mean we give up being a person too. A happy mom is a good mom.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• yes it's important
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Important? Yes. Does it ever happen? No! : )
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes it is sometimes we are so caught up in taking care of our families we forget ourselves we are very harworking mamas we need time for ourselves :)
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Of course being a mother is very demanding work and in order to be good at your job you need rest and time to yourself. You dont want to get to stressed that you cant handle your children properly so it's the best time you can do for your family and yourself.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes!!! I watch my son all day, then cook dinner, make lunches and then work til 2 am and do it all over.... Luckily right now I am on a break from work so I get to sleep at night but it's still exhausting. Luckily today I get time to go get my nails done!!! YAY!!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• yes! Once about every 6 months I like to go see a movie by myself!
    FierceMomBear

Answer by FierceMomBear at 11:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I get my ALONE time when I sleep. I don't have many hobbies or friends and LOVE being with my son so I have yet to really NEED the down time..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2010