I need help with ideas! Fundraising for families in need

A radio station in my city is having this thing where they will give you $250, but you have to take that money and use to help others. There is a woman in my building whose baby was diagnosed with cancer. I would like to help her in some way, she is a single mother who just started working. Also, there is a family that one of our social workers wants to help. They made up a wish list of clothes and toys for the kids. Now the trick is figuring out how to split the money and help both families. The family with the wish list is easy, I can go to the store and get the stuff off their list. The single mother is the more difficult one, how do I turn the small amount of money into a bigger amount to help her pay her bills, buy food and maybe gifts for Christmas? Thanks for your help!

nmmama09

Asked by nmmama09 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You only have $125? How about a grocery store gift certificate, or a Babies R Us gift certificate?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Use the $250 to do a fundraiser at a local bar. You can sell sloppy joes, pulled pork sandwiches or whatever is cheap, and charge $10 for it. Then ask businesses to donate things to put up a silent auction. The $250 should cover food costs (if it's not donated) and advertising costs (again, if it's not donated). Get all your friends to post it on facebook, if you have that. Then you can turn the $250 into a LOT more for these families. Just an idea. I've been to a lot of these events and I really think it's a good idea with a little extra work.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would buy a gift card to wal-mart or something like that. Or i would tell her that u want to help pay on some of her bills. Or get a gift card to a store where she can get food. My son is in head start and they had the idea to do christmas pictures for the childern in the class and the money that they get they are using to get each child in his class a christmas gift. They have also had where the parnets sold candy bars to help the childern that cant ahve a chritmas and I have sold over 300 candy bars for the childern that cant have a chritmas
    Babygirl121307

Answer by Babygirl121307 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree you have $125.00 you could give her a Gift Card for grocery store, or for Gas, if she has a car. Also, if she needs clothes maybe you could go to a second hand store and get clothes for the baby and some toys. I know when my kids where little I used to buy lots of clothes from the second hand store because they were less expensive and the kids out grew them so fast.

You could also talk to the grocery store and see if they will match you amount of the GC. That way you would not have use all the money for that. I know the stores in our area are given a set amount of money they use for charity a month. If they won't match the GC maybe they will let you by food for that amount. For example: the kids school always get cookies for the holiday party, so I just write a letter and the store donates them.

Good Luck and I think it is a great idea.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think sunshine has a great idea. :) Definately call all the grocery stores and restaurants and post ads in free papers and locations for volunteers, free cooks, supplies, etc.

Hosting it now during the holiday season will help make it more meaningful also, and a lot of people are in the giving mood.

Have a bake sale, BBQ sale, etc and generate a ton more income to help them. Maybe even see if any local businesses or hospitals or something would help sponsor the mom some medical help. You could also make a coupon book (and get with some friends hwo would help also) for the mom with offerrings of doing her laundry, babysitting and such to help her out. :)

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Have a bake sale or hotdog sale sell for 5.00 a plate...I hope that helps...
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 2, 2010