Unemployment?

What will happen if congress does not extend the unemployment benefits. What will happen to your country if all these people loose everything. I think we are in big trouble.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, we will be in big trouble. The people on unemployment cannot just all get a job in one day. There just are NOT enough jobs.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:34 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• A bigger, although less immediately personal question is: what happens to the country if the currency is devalued to the point that it can't be used on the international market?

All the money the government prints with nothing backing it is watering the currency. Whether they're printing it for unemployment benefits or to pay off debt, the more they print, the less it's worth. That is a serious concern... the last time a currency devalued rapidly, people couldn't buy a loaf of bread for a million...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:41 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I feel it will get extended. Congress is playing their childish games, which is sad for those in need. I hope for the sake of many, they get their act together before holiday break. They are literally playing with people's lives IMO. I really cannot understand a GOP that insists on tax cuts for the wealthy, which will add 700 billion to the deficit. It seems that is the ONLY way they would agree to pass. It is SAD.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• The next Great Depression. Lots of homeless people and soup lines.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• There will be more homeless families. And more lay offs because of the loss of benefits to be spent.
    Should they extend it? I don't know. Should they consider restucturing it and calling it welfare? Maybe.
    berrymorin3

Answer by berrymorin3 at 2:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• There will be more people on welfare. So basically the same as it is now.
    Anonymous