How can i know if baby is lactose intolerant? adult content

i've aske dr. and she said not to worry about it...but my baby has similac and she alwaayyyss stained her pants when she poopies it was watery and stuff thats why she would get stained...i bough a lactose intolerant milk cuz i ran out and didnt have much money and it was on sale (shame on me iknow) but now my baby poopies alright and she doesnt stain her clothes so i am wondering if i should go to another doctor for this...or just keep on buying the lactose intolerant...or ask doctor one more time.... 2 of her grandparents are lactose intolerant so im guessing i am right...but im not sure

BeLLasNewMoMmy

Asked by BeLLasNewMoMmy at 11:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The main signs in an infant would be failure to thrive, vomiting, gas, incessant crying. I don't know about the signs your baby is displaying, guess it's possible. He grew up on soy milk, which is how my husband realized he was lactose intolerant too. You might want to get a second opinion, however I don't think what you gave her would cause any harm.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Lactose intolerance isn't real. Or rather, although the symptoms are real, the problem isn't.

Human guts make lactase, the enzyme that digests lactose. When the person has had a gastric disorder --or lived for a while not eating dairy sugar, their bodies stop making it, or stop making enough of it. Every human gut is can make lactase.

Babies don't make a lot on their own, which is fine because breastmilk has lactase in it. More of a problem for artificially-fed babies, because they don't get the enzyme from outside, and they can have difficulty with the milk sugar, although there is so little of it (most sugar in formula is corn) that it doesn't tend to be a problem, and if it is it can be solved with the addition of a drop of lactase (sold as Lact-Aid).

No human baby should ever be fed unmodified dairy --it's the leading cause of kidney disorders, because it's far to high in calcium, salt and protein. And too low in fat.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• How old is the baby? Are you buying regular cow's milk, lactose-free cow's milk? Or baby formula that is lactose free?
    Anonymous

• Shes 7 months old and its baby formula lactose free...well is just that i did see that change of her stool being more solid and noth alot of clothes getting stained...and with the other one at least 3 pairs of pants get stained
    BeLLasNewMoMmy

Comment by BeLLasNewMoMmy (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If she's happy on the lactose free formula and doesn't have loose stools any more then just leave it be, keep her on it but next time she has any sort of appointment make sure they know you've changed her formula, as it can sometimes affect medications they may prescribe. I don't know why stained pants is such a big deal, that would be the least of my worries, you can wash stains out.
    Anonymous

• i dont mind...the pants...its just that thats how i realised there was something wrong...before i thought it was normal cuz i had told the doc. and they said it was alright...but since using the nnew formula her stool looks a little more solid...i think i am just going to askfor second opinion ...
    BeLLasNewMoMmy

Comment by BeLLasNewMoMmy (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010