Do people not realize that privacy controls don't extend to the answers section?

There was a question just closed by someone who apparently thought that by making her profile private, nobody could use the link to see her answers page and read her q&a history. She seemed rather surprised that anyone on the internet could read all of her questions and answers, considering she tried to lie about what she'd already said in previous answers (or at least, imply that she'd never said such things). Does this maybe need to be added in giant red letters somewhere in the privacy controls so people realize that clicking private does not disable their answers summary page, only their main profile page?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in About CafeMom

• You are correct...
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think it does. My husband and I own a business and one of the things they tell you in business books is not to assume that people understand something. You need to spell it out for them.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Not sure why anyone would hope that answering questions (or asking them) in a public forum would make those questions or answers private... it seems a little, well, naive, frankly.

Privacy settings are about the kinds of information some people are wary about other people finding out: where they live, their kids ages, etc... not posts to public discussion.

Obviously.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I missed whatever you're talking about but ROFLMAO!
    Anonymous

• and, that is why I disconnected my Facebook account to this site.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Many people have asked CM to be more clear about this subject but it's no secret that this section along several others are totally open to google and reading by any person with internet access. I feel bad for her though. It all goes back to don't post it if you don't want it to be seen.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 4:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It's not hidden. It's just not bold. I don't think it needs to be. If CafeMom made that "announcement" in red, or whatever, to make it stand out then they'd have to make a lot of things stand out because "people didn't know". That's not possible and I think it's silly to expect it.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 5:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• What do you care what others do or don't realize? Talk CM in to getting you a Vent/Rant category. It gets irritating reading these posts that don't actually ask a real question, just a questionable way to get their vent in
    Anonymous

• what about questions you ask or answer in anon mode?
    Sarahsdawn

Answer by Sarahsdawn at 8:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think the best way to eliminate that is to delete your questions.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2010