• In the Spotlight:

Hearing click when chew food?

Why does this happen. I feel something pop and hear a click above my ear when I am eating sometimes? Its not painful or anything. Just kinda curious what it is.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 11:45 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Health

• I have TMJ. temporomandibular joint syndrome It could be that.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree, it sounds like TMJ. (I have it too.) It's not of great concern but you might consider asking your dentist the next time you go for a cleaning/exam.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• TMJ - I have it as well. Sometimes I get killer headaches from it, but there's really nothing that can be done. Years ago they said surgery was the only option, but now say that physical therapy is the only thing that will help.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:52 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• TMJ can progress to a very painful condition. I wear a night guard whenever I'm asleep. I have for over 20 years. I know my youngest was a baby and he's 24 now.. You need to address this with both your primary care Dr. and your Dentist. THis way they are aware and can be on the look out for worsening symptoms. I had heard the click and pop for years before my jaw suddenly locked up one day.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2010