Tips for toddler who is always sick?

My son is two years old. he is in daycare and has had 5 colds since starting in September. He is already on the small side and is not gaining any weight since his cycle of illnesses began. Has anyone had a similar situation and found success with any preventative treatments? I am thinking about probiotics. I feel so bad for him. He is sick more than he is well these days. I took him to the pediatrician yesterday and he just dismisses it as another kid in daycare.

amy0922

Asked by amy0922 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is pretty typical...

What can help enormously is keeping him well hydrated (water, not juice), and then (second --lots of water matters a lot more) take some flavourless, food oil (sesame, safflower, vitamin E, doesn't really matter) and put a few drops on a cotton swab and rub it around just the edges and just barely inside both his nostrils.

It won't make a cold go away, but it will help him avoid others. The dry, indoor air makes catching a cold much more likely.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yeah, just hang in there. My son started daycare in the summer when he was 10 months old. He was sick the WHOLE winter. In January of last year he had like 6 different illnesses back to back. Cold, Stomach bug, respitory something, ear infection, stomach bug, pink eye, then cold. It was horrible and I had to take off a lot of work. I kept asking people "is this really building his immune system or is that what they say to make you feel better?" This year is going better. He's had some runny noses and will eventually get sick, but I think it was the introduction to all the new germs. You will have to deal with it now or when he hits kindergarten. I saw a little improvement when I started regularly giving him vitamins. I know people say he gets what he needs from a good diet, but I think they help. Also give him lots of watered down orange/apple juice and stay away from milk when he has a runny nose. It will clear up faster.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Probiotics will definitley help, as long as they are a good quality! Also, look into an elderberry supplement (we use Sambucol) - it is a natural antiviral that you start taking at the first sign of symptoms of anything - we jsut started using it this fall and it works!
    Anonymous

• i agree with probiotics. go to a healthfood store to get them.
    i would give everyone in the family fish oil also. carson's makes a lemon flavored that goes down well.
    does your son get a lot of sleep?
    how is his diet? try as hard as you can to get fresh fruits and veggies into him. green food is good food : )
    try to cut back on sugar and processed foods.
    good luck!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would bathe him as soon as he comes home from daycare. Give multivitamins daily, teach him to clean his hands with baby wipes, teach him not to stick his fingers in his mouth & nose and no toys in the mouth. Good luck!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010