How old is too old to have a child?

I just read about a 72 year old woman who gave birth to her first child at the age of 66 and now she wants another. Do you think she is being selfish? Or should her children be greatful for having their mother, if only for a short time?

Personally, I think 60 should be the cutoff. Women in their 40's and even 50's will still be able to watch their children grow up. But giving birth at 66, you might live to be 100 but will you remember it?

This is assuming we all live healthy full lives of course.

Just my opinion though! :)

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I say when you go through menopause, you are done. That is natures cut off. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• When it is no longer possible for your body to reproduce.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I can't imagine anyone wanting a baby at that age, that is if they still have their period, since babies are A LOT of work. It would be hard to do the job with all the other issues that come with old age.

To the person that said over 30-35 is too old, you just offended half of Cafe Mom. Many women have children in their 30's these days since people are settling down later and life expectancy is higher. I had my first at 34 and plan to have another, and my son is in no way being cheated or gyped or anything like that just because I didn't get to have a baby until my 30's. In fact, I think I make a better mother NOW than I would have in my 20's. I am more mature, more settled, and more financially stable. Your comment was senseless and actually, kinda mean.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Well, my grandmother is 90. Her mom lived to be 99. If my grandma had a kid at 72 it would be an adult by now.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I saw a TLC show about much older women using new medical techniques to have children. I try not to judge other people's life choices, especially if they don't effect my happiness in life but this seems like it would be difficult for the child brought into the world. I am not questioning the ability of an older woman to love the child, (grandmothers are the best!!) but what about the ability to care for the child properly. Also, the trauma for a child to loose their parent at a young age. My mother died when I was 18 and I feel like I didn't have nearly enough time to learn from her. If a 60+ woman has a child it's almost a sure thing that she will pass away before the child is old enough. (not that there is any good time for a parent to die) So, although I try to keep an open mind with other people's choices I have to be honest and say that I disagree with older women having children even if medical advancements allow it.
    sheepishcanuck

Answer by sheepishcanuck at 12:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• For me personally, I wanted to be finished with my pregnancies before I was 30.

But as far as other people, I think 45+ is getting a little old.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I say when you are too old to run after them and also when menopause starts. I think when you have a child you need to be able to handle the running off and carrying your own child around.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 12:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• 72 is way too old! that is certainly not happening naturally - how is that physically possible?? I think that is just selfish. My father was 47 when I was born and he died four years ago when I was 31. He never met his grandson and I feel like he jipped me of time I should have had with him.
    norrs12

Answer by norrs12 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I am with BradenIsMySon. When nature says that you do not mature eggs anymore, then you should stop.
    The only way I would change my mind is if the mother is being a surrogate for one of her children.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• When menopause hits, so it's different for each woman.

Practically? For me personally, less than 40- I did not want minor children at home or college tuition at the same time as retirement. My MIL had her last at 47............too old, IMO.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2010