Now that he's on the way out, what do you think will be Bush's legacy?

When history looks back at George W's presidency 100 years from now, what do you think they will say were the high points and the low points?

I say the good was the strong presence he presented on and immediately after 9-11. The bad (and I'm editing myself) was his disregard for large segments of our nation and his mishandling of Afghanistan & Iraq. What's your opinion?

crazydogchick

Asked by crazydogchick at 10:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I honestly think that George W will be looked back on as "just trying to finish the war his daddy started in Iraq"

while the war on Terrorism was good in theory... what the heck are we doing in Iraq? That's all about the oil war started by his father in Gulf War.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• 1-He fought back after 9-11..not like Clinton did after our ships and embassys got bombed.
    2-Our stock market was the best its ever been during his terms. And even with a "recession" its still pretty high
    3-the housing market was great, and even little monkies that wanted loans got them, I blame them for being stupid enough to think that they could afford a $700,000 house making $20,000 a year.
    4-He passed the Laci/Conner act...which means that if you kill or hurt a pregnant woman, you will get charged not only for hurting the mother, but the child too
    5-He doesnt agree with gay marriage and abortion
    6-The list can continue for days. Thanks!!
    Anonymous

• I agree with both your answers. Immediately after 911 Bush had my full support, and that of I believe 90% of the country. But, then he went all haywire and started in on Iraq??? WTH?? I honestly think he'd be a great neighbor, invite him over to a BBQ, have a beer with him...you know...the cool old dude next door. But, as far as the Pres, yeah, well he's pretty much sucked the entire time.
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 10:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I think a large part of the negativity towards George Bush is a product of "if you say something often enough people believe it" The media and the celebraties decided he was an idiot who didn't agree with them and they repeated it so often and lampooned him so often that it became too much. The same they did to Palin. I think he will be remembered ok. I think Bill Clinton will be remembered for his indescetions more than anything he accomplished. Those were the only to pres I voted on o I can't really say about any others! Lol
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• For the time that Bush was in office after 9/11 we did not have another attack in our homeland.

The highs of the economy and housing market will all be claimed to have been effects of the clinton admin. and the bush admin. ruined them...even though that isn't true. They'll say 9/11 was his fault even though Clinton was warned about an attack and it was ignored. Katrina will be blamed on him, even though it was caused by nature and he will be looked at as a racist white president for not helping the minorities out faster during that time (ya know the ones that were looting for plasma TV's in 5 ft of water). It will all be something bad even though he wasn't all bad, not saying he was great either. I think it will be forgotten in 100 years honestly, there was no major accomplishment...he will be known as the president in office during 9/11.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• You do have a valid point there momof030404---sadly Clinton is remembered for getting a hummer more than he is for anything else. That's sad, lol.
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 10:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• lowest approval rating in history LOL Honestly Bush made some mistakes but as a man I really like him. I dont know why and yes he did a great job with 9-11
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• President Bush handled 9-11 very well, the terrorists brought the war to the United States, and we pushed it onto their soil. The thing that hurt him the most was the faulty intelligence saying that Iraq had WMD, even though Saddam said HE HAD THEM, it was a lie because Iraq was having issues with Iran. Not to mention, all the horrible things Saddam had done to the people in Iraq, is enough to make someone cringe, it was horrible what he did, and I think Bush wanted the best for the Iraqi people. I honestly don't think anyone thought the War or Wars would last this long.
    ArmyFamilyOf4

Answer by ArmyFamilyOf4 at 3:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2008