At what age did you allow your kids to get their own breakfast?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends on the breakfast. If it was cereal, then when he could pour milk or cereal without spilling it. If it was a poptart, then when he could be trusted to use a toaster. If we are talking microwaving food, then earlier. Cooking eggs and bacon later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It wasn't a matter of letting them at a certain age, they just started doing it themselves when they were about 7. I still do it for them when it comes to cooking, but if it's cereal, fruit, frozen pancakes, waffles, they are able to do it on their own.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My DD just started doing this on her own at about 5... usually a yogurt. Now she is 6 and will also feed he little brother a yogurt as well. It's so cute!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I know my dd could do it by 5 and 6 for sure. Cant remember before that. She is 8 now and can make toast, oatmeal and cereal alone. She can fry her own egg if I turn the stove on for her (we have gas)
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• At 5 my kids were able to make cereal, that was the start.

At 8 and up supervised-eggs, pancakes.

My 11 year old and 14 year old can make their own breakfast.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I'm thinking about making french toast, freezing them, and then letting my almost-5-year-old toast them himself. Thoughts or suggestions?
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• At the age of 2 they where able to make some cereal~~~little things like making a sandwich, i may have not wanted it because it was kinda sloppy~~~but it was cute and dependent for them.
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• He should be able to do that...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My 5 year old gets her own yogurt/spoon, and makes her own bowls of cereal. She hasn't quite got the microwave down yet, we're still working on that, but when she does I'll allow her to thaw out her own pancakes/waffles.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I have a 9,7, and 5 year old. I let them pick out something easy before school. On weekends they can get things like poptart or cereal or little debbies in the mornings. But if want toast, french toast, pancakes I make them for the girls.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010