Are recommended serving sizes smaller for kids?

Kids' stomachs are so much smaller, are the recommend servings (like the ones associated with the food pyramids) smaller for them as well? I have never come across anything that really explains this.

Asked by Groovyflor1 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• yes

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• yes, I go by that anyways I usually give my dd serving sizes the size of her fist like I would for myself. I just came up with that on my own and she seems satisfied. I will always give her seconds if she asks though especially of fruits and veggys.

Answer by scanamey77 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I do give him food that fits on his plate and portion of everything . My son can eat when he wants too so I keep him on 3times a day meal with snacks in between. This way he will not become overweight but stays full and does not look for food. I think the key is keeping them full without giving empty calories

Answer by karing4elmas at 12:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes and No. Are they smaller than adult servings? Yes. But the same rules should apply for measurements. For example, a serving of protein should be about the size of the palm of your hand, for children it should be the size of the palm of THEIR hand... So is it smaller than regular servings? Yes, but proportion wise to their body it's not.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i estimate portions by the hand size like sabrina.

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Go to the food pyramid website, it gives you portion sizes & whatnot for all ages.

• yes.

Answer by asil at 12:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2010