Military Wives....I need your advise!!

My friend's husband is fixing to leave for his first deployment. She's 18 and has a 6 month old baby.

She's really upset (understandably) and I would just like to know what I can do to help her through this.

What is the best way to be supportive in this situation?

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• Everytime my husband deployed or my friend's husband deployed, we would call each other up and go get drunk together. Being that she is 18, I would just call her up and see if she wanted company. Sometimes, it would be a week before I wanted to see anyone. Everyone goes through a different process. Mine was a pity party for about a week, then get drunk as hell, and then life goes on and I do what I have to do.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I'm not a military wife... but I am in the military... and have been deployed to Iraq.
    It's going to be rough for the first maybe 3 months b/c she will find that her communication with him will be very scarce... but honestly the best way to help is by going by her house and helping her make decision b/c now she has become head of household and I don't know about u but when I was 18 I knew NOTHING about bills and such. Also there are FRG groups she can join, Family Readiness Groups, on post that will help her through this deployment. They will help her stay in touch with the hubby, be her support group, and help with the baby whenever they can. Plus they also have fun things for wives and husbands of soldiers to do. Trust me... with her being this fragile, this would be a good thing. Where is he stationed? I will see if I can get the number to her local FRG.
    Luvmyfam7

Answer by Luvmyfam7 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I'm not a military wife, but have known five people deployed (four which are family members) and I had to help there wives and mothers and husbands get through it. The only thing you can do is be supportive. He's serving his country, there are groups she can join to help her through it. Tell her to pray. On the up side that little boy will always know his father is a hero. She will need constant support, and to keep busy it will help the time pass by faster.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 1:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would just suggest helping her stay busy. It makes time go by faster and you can't focus on being lonely as much.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010