Talking

My son is 18months old and is not talking. He's very smart.. I can tell him to get his shoes and he does, a book, go to the car, juice, ball, plane, dog etc. he knows what all these things are but refuses to say them. Instead he simply points and makes a grunting noise or an oooh noise. I know he's not deaf because I can clap or drop things when he's not looking and he reacts. I've tried constantly to get him to say something new.. He knows a few words Mama, dada, papa, hot and burr. I'm always asking him "what is it/what is that?" and then saying the name of the object a few times and asking again... or saying "you say it." Should I be worried that he isn't a talker?? His grandma (my mother in law) is always asking. I'm thinking I might try and get him to his Dr before his 2 year check up just to see what her opinion is.

kaoz888

Asked by kaoz888 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All kids learn at different rates, but I would call the Dr. and maybe see a speach therepist. They will do a speech evaluation to see if anything is going on.
    DevansMommy06

Answer by DevansMommy06 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• he's definitely communicating with you (pointing, etc), and he has several words, i wouldn't worry. my son is 17 months and only says "mom!" "uh oh" and "ewwww" and i think he's starting to get "banana". so yeah, i wouldn't really be concerned. besides, boys generally pick up talking a little slower & later than girls
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 10:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• According to different things I've read and have been told, an 18mo old should be saying 10-20 words and still may do a lot of babbling yet. It's not until they get closer to 2 and beyond when their vocabulary increases dramatically. If you are worried though, I'd voice that to the dr so they can let you know if he needs to have a speech and hearing evaluation to be sure.
    momof3_dll

Answer by momof3_dll at 11:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Kids are all different ! My oldest was a very early talker my middle kiddo was right on track with the developmental charts but my youngest is 18 months and only says a few words. I'm not worried I figure one day the little light bulb will go off and he will be babbling non stop. I honestly figured he would talk early because his sisters are constantly talking to him but hes stubborn.. LOL
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 11:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• He sounds fine. You know he can hear. You know he can talk. He won't be speaking in short sentences for at least another 6 months. Grandma probably just can't quite remember when kids do what.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2008