panic, pls tell me this is normal

So I am preganat with my second (very planned just like my first, who is two) and I cant help but to feel very over whelmed. I really do want to have two kids but when I start thinking about the grocery store or the zoo I kinda panic! How do you juggle two small children, I mean I see women do it all the time . Am I capable? am I crazy? what was I thinking? these are just some of the thoughts running through my head. Is this normal? please tell me its not as bad as I imagine the chaos to be. I do remeber feeling a little like this with my first and then it just became second nature when she got here will it be the same with 2? Will my first forgive me for having the attention divided? HELP!

scanamey77

Asked by scanamey77 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• You will be just fine. I used to run the grocery store like a military operation,,lol... I had a map in my head of the store layout, I knew where we had to get to, what was needed and we where always in and out of there. I knew I only had so much time in the store before it was melt down time, so I planned accordingly. Did I know this when I was preggo with my second? No of course not. You learn as you go and sometimes you surprise yourself that things can go as smooth as they do when you take the time to learn what works best for you and your kids,,,good luck, it will be fine
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You are TOTALLY normal....and just like it became 2nd nature with your first, it will become 2nd nature with the second. How old is your first. It can be a little rough for them in the beginning, but they will adjust. My 1st and 2nd are 7 years apart....oldest was thrilled to have a sibling. Second and 3rd are two years apart....2nd not so thrilled to have a sibling, but once the youngest was old enough to play with they became best friends....and at 19 & 21 years old, still are.

Don't worry momma, everything will be alright, and you are perfectly normal.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You can do it. You can also find another mother to trade off with. One day you can take her children so she can go do her thing and another day she can take yours so you can do your thing.

Grocery stores also have the carts that accomodate mamma and their kids. When my kids were younger I would go by the deli, get some popcorn chicken and they would share it...it made for an easier trip. You can also go on days your DH is off. You can get out to do it alone or together as a family.

Once I had kids going to the store turned into a once a month thing. The kids went to gma's and DH and I went to the store, all done for another month.

You will figure out what works for you.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It too will become second nature to have two. You are not dividing the love. You are multiplying the love.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 1:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You're definitely capable, and not crazy. I had the same thoughts/emotions when pregnant with my second. It's really not bad at all, you just do it without a second thought once baby arrives. You've been down the road of newborn/baby once before so you've got that going for you. Really though, you can do it, you're normal for having those thoughts, and congrats on baby #2 =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You will be fine. What you are feeling is completely normal. I am pregnant with our fourth I would just have to say that as each one comes you learn to juggle things differently. My husband is in the military and is gone for months at a time and we are no where near family so I don't really have any help but you figure it out. Systems. Getting to the grocery store might be tricky the first time but you will quickly become an old pro. With two little ones you are made with two hands which is prefect because you can almost always have a hand on each one of them..
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Thanks girls:) I really needed to hear these things. in general im somewhat confident but lately reality has snuck up on me:) that this could be really hard. I still am super excited to be pregnant and adding to my family I just needed some reasurance, wish me luck:)
    scanamey77

Comment by scanamey77 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I have 5, including 3 that were born one right after the other (they are now 10, 9 and 8) and you adapt. It's a little rough at first as you try and get used to a new baby and juggle multiple kids but after awhile it just becomes 2nd nature and you wonder what you were worrying about (at least most of the time...there is always the odd incident that has you doubting your sanity).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• it seems scary at first but it will become new normal for you. i have 4 now and i really cant remember not having so many kids (but there are days i wonder if i was crazy for having so many)
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2010