None of my friends have children. Now that I have my son they very rarely want to hang out. Anyone else having this problem?

I'm kind of shy and I'm young and feel like I don't really relate to most people my age. So lonely! Help please.

MKmom306

Asked by MKmom306 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• yes I relate and I am 32 :) I have now zero friends because the friends I did have, have older kids and are done with my stages and how needed my son is.. then the friends I had who didn't have kids never came around once I got pregnant.. at this point - me and my husband are best friends and just are content being a family.. and came to the conclusion that most people are more selfish and plain old suck lol!~ i know bad attitude maybe but we were always there for people and its very disheartening.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree. A lot of people are selfish. I love my son and fiance to death but I miss my girl time
    MKmom306

Comment by MKmom306 (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Check and see if there's a M.O.M.'s Club in your area. (It stands for Mom's Offering Mom's Support.) I had the same problem when my kids were young, none of my old friends had kids yet, and our lives were in different places. I found the mom's club, and they have playgroups set up for each age group, mom's night out, pre-school and babysitting co-ops, and even if you're shy the groups are kept small, so it's easy to make friends. My kids are grown and I'm still friends with many of the mom's I met through Mom's Club. They're on the internet.

Good Luck
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• 90% of my friends can't keep their pants on like me, so we all have kids :) haha j/k

But seriously, a lot of my friends have kids...a chunk doesn't, and mainly those are the ones who don't want kids.

I'll be your friend :)
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I had to completely reevaluate who my real friends were after I became pregnant... I know only have a few friends that I know are my real friends and they all have friends of love kids.. try taking your son to the YMCA or community center for play groups or something so you can meet other mothers... You said you are shy so it may be more diffucult but you can do it! Or try story times at the Library.. GL!!! Where are you from btw?
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You sound like me! I had a very close group of friends throughout high school, there was about ten of us. I got pregnant 7 months after we graduated high school and got married 2 months after that. My friends acted like they were going to be there for me while I was pregnant and when my daughter was born, a few of them came up to see me and my daughter but after we came home, I rarely saw them or heard from any of them. Now two years later and I only talk to one on a regular basis (which means once every two weeks). I find it hard to relate and communicate with anyone my age and finding a fellow mom my age that I can get along with is tough! I'm very shy and have never been the partying type, so leaving my kid with someone while I got dancing and get my drink on just isn't my style! So I'm stuck at home with my husband and our little one, but I'm so happy with that! Friends schmends! lol. :)

poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I am in the Lithia Springs/ Douglasville area
    MKmom306

Comment by MKmom306 (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Some of my friends stuck around.. others vanished.. I found it is hard to remain friends with our friends who don't have kids because we can't do all the things we used to do.. like go over their house at 9pm.. seriously my son is sleeping I can't leave him here alone.. why not just come here.. yes I know you don't want to be the one to leave your house all the time.. but unless you want me to come over and have to chase around my 2 year old and take all your breakables out of his hands.. it is a ton easier for you to come here.. but I guess that isn't good enough for all of them. Friends will come once your little one starts going to play groups and school.. my mom to this day is still best friends with my childhood best friends mother.. knowing that has made it a ton easier for me.. I know one day I will have awesome friends again!
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 1:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I completely understand. When I had my daughter I thought family and friends would be around her like they were always around. Now that she is here noone comes around anymore. It's very disappointing. Have you thought of joining a mommy and me group?
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 1:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I understand i made a lot of changes when i had my DD and the few people that i talk to from work and have kids we try to get together but i am working or busy with my 2 yrs old and i also have a 13 yrs old Step-son that lives with us so ya my family comes first and my job is right up there and any spare time i do have i clean or there's always something that has to be done so ya my Hubby is my BFF and MY children are too. I don't really miss my girl time what i miss is having time to breathe without a child up my butt :~)
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010