Eggs with less fat?

So, I just saw a commercial for Egglands Best eggs. Each egg is stamped with a stamp of approval. Ink on each shell...yippee. But, they also say they are "better" for you because they have 25% less fat than other brands. I've been to laying houses, even owned my own chickens at one time. They are all fed the same feed called "eggmash" which is a dry granulated feed that also includes ground up oyster shell for shell strength.

So, exactly how do you lower the fat content in an egg? LOL. And, do you really believe they are truly lower in fat or is this an advertising gimmick?

specialwingz

Asked by specialwingz at 12:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Eggland's Best hens are fed a strictly controlled, high-quality all-vegetarian diet that contains no animal fat, no animal by-products, and no recycled or processed food commonly found in livestock and poultry feeds. Our all-natural feed contains soybean meal, healthy grains, canola oil and/or flax seed, which are high in Omega 3 fatty acid content, and our BioteneĀ® supplement, a unique all-natural supplement which includes rice bran, alfalfa meal, sea kelp and Vitamin E. Because the unique diet of our hens is nutritionally superior to those fed to other hens, Eggland's Best hens lay nutritionally superior eggs. Eggland's Best eggs and feed program are so special that the U.S. Government has granted the company a patent.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I am no expert by any means but I do know that how chickens are raised effect the quality of the meat and the eggs. Typically the majority of living conditions for livestock and foul are just not good. I don't know about the fat content question, but I do know that stress hormones not only effect the chickens life, but when we ingest them we are getting those stress hormones. This is not just limited to chickens but to all our meats and dairy products. "Happy", healthy animals are better food for sure, sadly they are much more pricey.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I also only use Eggland's Best and to my knowledge, there has never been a recall on their eggs. They may be more expensive but they taste better and I have never had issues with their eggs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Sorry, ran out of space - I copied the above from the comapny's website. I only use Eggland's best, I think they taste better.
    Scuba

• Hmmm. That's good to know. I wish they would start producing brown eggs. I've always been a brown egg girl. LOL. Most say there is no difference. But, I can do a blind taste test and pick out the brown egg every time. My family gets a kick out of that. LOL. My DD buys only organic milk, meat and veggies for her family, namely the granddaughter. I totally support that. Our kids have been exposed to way too many hormones. As for eggs, she uses only the whites due to the fat and cholesterol content. Does anyone know if the cholesterol is also lower in the Eggland eggs? I will have to tell her about this.
    specialwingz

Comment by specialwingz (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Not sure....
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• hmm. interesting.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010