Santa =...

This is going to sound laughable, but I mean no disrespect, patronizing or demeaning by this question...

My gramma's friend believes that Santa is the equivalent of Satan and a tool used by him in order to force believers into focusing away from the meaning of Xmas...spelled with a CH...

Here are some of the points she's made to me about this theory:

-Santa is an anagram for Satan
-Santa is red
-Santa takes away from Xtianity
-Due to his marketability, Santa is more favourable towards children leading to them to think more of Santa than a squalling infant on Xmas
-Children ARE more favourable to Santa by means of leaving him,"offerings" meaning milk & cookies, sandwiches and carrots as we do in my house..
-That children who grow faith in Santa and then find out that he doesn't exist makes the more apt to become non-religious or Atheists due to apparently their belief that since Santa isn't real that they question everything else in their lives at this point..

More that I can't remember...we talked for about an hour alone on this subject when she brought her great-granddaughter over for a play date the a couple weeks ago and I had my decorations out.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

gabrielle_x

Asked by gabrielle_x at 12:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We don't do Santa in this house...
    We also don't do Jesus though...

But I've always laughed when I heard this kind of thing. Santa is like Scooby Doo, Snoopy or any other fictional character. They are fun, they aren't meant to be Religious figures, and they aren't...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I've never heard of that and I've never associated Santa with Satan. I don't even believe in Satan, so how can I compare him to Santa Claus? Finding out Santa wasn't real as a child had nothing to do with my decision to not have any religious beliefs as I got older. My curiousity about "the truth" and being open to learning about different theories changed my religious beliefs. lol.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• And I agree with SabrinaMBowen, Santa Claus isn't meant to be a religious character. He's just like any other fictional character out there, like Spongebob or Dora.

I don't believe in Jesus and all that, but we do do Santa Claus in our home. It's a fun thing that my daughter enjoys taking a part in and we'll keep it up until the day she comes to us asking questions whether he's real or not or realizes it herself like I did.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I've heard similar stuff too, and it just made me laugh.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No I haven't heard about Santa in those specific terms but I know the Santa debate, many people are for or against it.   I always thought of Santa as being a nickname for Saint Nicholas. I realize that the idea of Santa has come from other traditions through the years. I'm not worried about it either way. As my kids get older they are less interested in Santa and they understand our religious traditions better. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Since I don't believe in Satan, I can not equate Santa=Satan...
    We don't do Jesus either ... But if a Christian family teaches their children
    their beliefs and explains others, i.e. Santa, Easter Bunny, etc... then the
    child's faith should hold...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I've actually heard some of that before. We don't really do Santa, but not because we believe he's evil or anything lol. We just don't limit the holiday by focusing too much on just one aspect. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• yeah ive heard that stuff before...the "Santa is red" always makes me laugh...does the Bible say Satan is red? should we not wear red clothing either?

i think if someone thinks those things, good for them, but those reasons arent good enough for me. Santa is a once a year deal, Jesus is all year long...so im not too worried about Santa drowning out Jesus. i guess to those who only think about Jesus around Christmas it could be a problem.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I've heard it. I also remember the nutjob on tv who used to say Smurfs were demonic because they were blue with black mouths. (wonder what he thinks of Avatar)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I've heard this too. I feel like the people who come up with this have way too much time on their hands.
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010