How many gifts should I place under the tree for my 6yr girl, what is considered too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Too much to me would be what you can't afford. I have a 6 year old boy - I take into consideration how much he'll be receiving from family as well as what I get him. I average around 5-6 gifts per year that I give him personally, but he's also getting about 5-6 from my mom, and around 10 from other family members. 20 gifts is more than enough IMO.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• at such a young age they dont know the quality of gifts just quantity.. so maybe if you want you can get a bunch of little things and individually wrap them so it looks like she got more or you can just put 3 or 4 of her favorite things under the tree... especially if shes going to receive alot from other family and friends
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My daughter has about 20 gifts this year and all of them are underneath the tree except for three or four that are labeled from Santa. I'll put those out on Christmas morning. All of her big things come from Santa and the rest comes from her father and I.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My kids are 5 & 3 and under our tree they will have about 25 presents each.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I guess it depends on what you can afford. I have 3 kids so i will be getting them about 7 a piece plus what they will be getting from family as well.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 12:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I have two kids and I bought them each 4 gifts. Family members buy them gift cards because they are all out of state. So...gift cards totaling about 80 a piece and 4 gifts under the tree. Thats it. They are 6 and 7. There really isn't a such thing as too much as long as you can afford it.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Wowie 25 presents each! I'm not criticizing or anything, just wow that's a lot! Lol. I am uncomfortable with giving tons of expensive presents to children at christmas, I think it send the completely wrong message. I plan to buy DD who is 3.5 1-2 bigger toys, and maybe 5 little dollar store things. For DS who is 10 months, he'll probably get 1 toy and a few stocking stuffers. This is also keeping in mind what family will by. We are also on a tight budget this season. I def. don't deny my kids the joy fo the holidays and present giving, but I don't want them to grow up knowing christmas is when you spend hundreds of dollars on toys and gifts.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Thanks girls for the info and good point ashisamom! I fill the stocking buy 2 big gifts then a book and a stuffy
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I go by age, meaning last year our son was 6, so he got 6 gifts, one bigger one and 5 books, legos, DVDs. He has a Father and "Bonus Mom" and he gets gifts from them, their extended family, my extended family. The only absolute rule I have is that, for every new toy, he donates an old one, and every new book, he donates a book from his younger years.
    MSMama21

Answer by MSMama21 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• we have 5 kids, and they each get about 10-12 gifts, plus more from family, and then DH gets abotu5
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 3, 2010