Have you seen "The Business of Being Born"?

It's available on Netflix and a pregnant friend recommended it so we watched it the other night. It really got me thinking about how much hospitals push you to get that baby out...so they can get you out and someone else into that room. With our son I had pitocin and an epidural. Thank goodness the baby was fine and I didn't need a C-section but I did have a terrible episiotome (sp?) and I still get head & neck aches from the epidural almost 4 years later. Oh and also, because of the tearing and subsiquent repairs, they gave me demirol which knocked me out and I missed the first 6 hours of my son's life. Which, I believe, caused a lot of trouble with breastfeeding. He never did learn to latch on properly and ended up being formula fed. Then he had to be on special formula after a while because his little tummy couldn't tolerate the regular formulas.

So I have seen the domino effect it had on our family and this time I'm going to try a natural birth, though still in the hospital only because we are 25-30 minutes (in the middle of the night with no traffic) from the hospital and I wouldn't want to risk a long trip there in an emergency. Hopefully my OB and the hospital staff will be cooperative and not push for me to get the baby out before s/he is ready. I'll also try to labor at home longer, too, this time so that we don't feel rushed at the hospital.

So tell me your thoughts on the film if you've seen it. If you haven't seen it, check it out. I have always tried to be open minded about how people birth their babies and never judge, but this movie really hit me hard so I'm passing the word. =)

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 12:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I absolutely love it. I've seen it about 5 times now and I really want to own a copy of it. I think it's a great thing for anyone who has children or wants children to watch because there is a lot of really important and good information in it. So many people don't realize that they have a choice with birth and just do whatever their OB tells them to. I had a drug free birth, but I had to give birth in a hospital because home births are illegal here if they're assisted. I've wanted a home birth since I was 12, so it really hurt me to not be able to have that when I got pregnant.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes. I watched it in a Child Development class in college. After watching it I decided maybe I didn't want to get pregnant so badly. Ironically, a week later I found out it was already too late. But I had an epidural, pitocin, and an episiotomy as well and neither I nor my son had any side effects then or now. Only thing that even began to go wrong was he pooped in the womb, and they were concerned about him inhaling the meconium, hence the pitocin to speed things up, but all was fine in the end.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Another thing to keep in mind is that all hospitals are required to have your permission to administer any type of medication or procedure. If you don't educate yourself and go over your birth plan with your OB, the fault comes back to you. I was induced at 42 weeks 4 days and I ran the show. I told them at the beginning I did not want a c-section and I continued to make that clear throughout the birth of my son. I asked questions, told them what I wanted and didn't want and they are required to follow that, unless you or baby turns for the worse. I know not all hospitals are great, but I never had a problem with mine.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i watched the movie too but felt like it was giving the hospitals a bad rap....i never had any problems with my ob pressuring me into anything that i didn't want...i made the decisions i thought was best for me and my babies..i think it depends on your doctor and nurse....
    idc how people have their babies as long as it is done safley :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I own it. LOL I already knew beforehand that I wanted a home birth for the next baby. While I can say that nothing went wrong with my first birth, I was given Pitocin for no reason. Made to stay in bed for no reason. And made to purple push while on my back. All of these made me want to do it differently the next time. I didn't have an epidural though. thank goodness.

I do know that I have seen MANY of my friends and family give birth recently and out of 20, about 18 had c-sections. All after early inductions for stupid reasons.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• They don't always ask. They sometimes tell you they are going to do it.And then bully the thought into your head. It isn't always a you in charge type of thing. They didn't ask me if I wanted Pitocin, they said the doctor WANTS to give you some to speed things up. The whole damn labor was 7 hours with 2 pushes, I highly doubt I needed "sped' up.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i've seen it and i like it. if you have a choice of hospitals, try to figure out which is more natural friendly. or try to find an OB or midwife that is more natural friendly. GL!
    Anonymous

• I haven't seen the dvd, but L&D are the biggest profits for hospitals...it's a crime how unregulated and expensive our healthcare in America is. I'm a fan of Michael Moore and his documentary, SICKO. I'm lucky to know several Europeans who were appalled to learn that maternity leave wasn't paid for and that home birth isn't a viable option.
    Nawti

Answer by Nawti at 1:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yes, and it is very accurate for the most part. More and more women are waking up the realities of childbirth in America.
    Spread the word!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2010