breast pump milk question

my 8 days old woke up and I tho he wanted my breast milk so I took it out from the fridge and warmed it. I fed him for 10ml and he went back to sleep and don't want it anymore. Can I put it back to the fridge or leave it out for his next feeding? Is the breast milk still good? Thank you.

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you didnt warm it in the microwave than yes.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would leave it out, but I never knew the rules.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 12:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't use it again. Are you still nursing?
    karensue65

Answer by karensue65 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i would not leave it @ room temp for more than 3 or 4 hrs, then it is no good. in the fridge it can stay good for at least 1 day. but i would only re-heat it once, then leave it out for 4 hrs or less. thats what my mom who took food safety classes told me.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 1:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• thank you ladies
    Amy2079

Comment by Amy2079 (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• NEVER ever ever re-heat breast milk. Changes the consistency and pretty much ruins it. Makes it harder to digest as well. You can leave it at room temperature for 1-2 hours though, that can be pushing it. Next time, I would only heat a little, then heat more if the baby is still hungry. You can't put it back in the fridge either. Don't put it in the microwave either. Microwaves heat unevenly. I put mine in a hot/warm bowl of water. Same if my son doesn't eat a whole jar of food. There's a High chance of over-heating or burning with the microwave.
    misslissaj3

Answer by misslissaj3 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Once breastmilk has been frozen and then warmed you are supposed to toss it at the end of that feeding. If it was fed right out of the fridge you could save it for a few hours at room temp, but once warmed it has to be thrown out at t he end of that feeding.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010